[regional_school] Fwd: [edliberation] Fwd: [NYCoRE] Opening for an amazing leader at The James Baldwin School

  • From: Chojy Schroeder <chojy.schroeder@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Howard Eagle <heagle@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, Susan Goodwin <sgoodwin3@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, regional_school@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 22 Mar 2011 23:58:06 -0400

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: bree <breebree@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, Mar 22, 2011 at 4:15 PM
Subject: [edliberation] Fwd: [NYCoRE] Opening for an amazing leader at The
James Baldwin School
To: network@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Cc: Seth Rader <sethrader@xxxxxxxxx>

Begin forwarded message:

*From: *Seth Rader <sethrader@xxxxxxxxx>
*Date: *March 21, 2011 11:26:04 PM EDT
*To: *NYCoREUpdates@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
*Subject: **[NYCoRE] Opening for an amazing leader at The James Baldwin
School*

*Please forward widely
*

*T**he **J**ames **B**aldwin **S**chool*

351 West 18th Street

The Humanities Campus

New York, NY 10011

Phone 212-627-2812; Fax 212-627-9803

www.theJamesBaldwinSchool.org

* *

* *

An update from The James Baldwin School Community

* *

*Re. Leadership Transition at the James Baldwin School *

March 21, 2011

Dear Educator,

Many of our networks have already received this announcement.  We are
re-sending now, because to announce that official posting dates on the NYC
Department Of Education (DOE) website *will be in mid-April, 2011*. Please
forward to networks and individuals you feel might be interested in the
Principal opening at JBS.

*

As part of a planned leadership transition, the James Baldwin School – in
collaboration with our DOE Network, and our lead partner, NYC Outward Bound
– is *seeking candidates for the position of Principal, to start in the
2011-2012 School Year.*  This letter offers a short overview of who we are,
an overview of the process, and some on-line links where you can get more
information. *Please forward to networks or individuals you think may be
interested in this position.*

*Who we are**: *

We are a public high school, located in the neighborhood of Chelsea, in NYC.
We are in our 6th year, and we serve approximately 250 transfer students.

Our major institutional partners are:

   - NYC Outward Bound and Expeditionary Learning Schools
   - The New York Performance Standards Consortium
   - The Coalition of Essential Schools

It is our mission to provide a philosophical and practical education to the
young people of New York City; to offer a personalized and college
preparatory program of study; and to serve transfer students who come to us
when they are struggling to find success in other high school settings.

In our mission statement, we assert that our goals “can best be accomplished
in a school that is a democratic community.” Among the practical ways we
live this mission are our weekly staff meetings and our weekly student Town
Meetings.  Another important aspect of democratic practice at our school,
which any prospective principal should understand is the Co-directorship: at
the highest level of leadership we have created a shared position, with an
administrator (the Principal) and a teacher sharing responsibility for
guiding the school, strategically and day-to-day.

In our mission statement we also claim that, “as a democratic community, we
strive to exemplify the values of democracy: mutual respect, cooperation,
empathy, the love of humankind, justice for all, and service to the world.”
One element of our striving to live these values is in recognizing and
honoring the work and lives of people who have exemplified them.  For this
reason we decided that James Baldwin’s life and writings should be part of
the name, and, more deeply, the culture and practice of our school.  As a
New Yorker, and a celebrated thinker, reader, writer, and activist, his work
serves a model for our students’ own creations.

The curriculum at JBS is informed by Expeditionary Learning, a whole school
model that emphasizes inter-disciplinary projects, compelling real-world
questions, and exemplary assessment practice.  We value character
development as much as academics, and we have an extensive Advisory system.
Our curriculum is also informed by a NY State waiver from the Regents Exams
in Math, Science, and Social Studies.  Instead of passing the exams,
students must write and defend an extended paper or project in each area.

*The JBS Leadership Transition Process:*

Our out-going principal, Elijah Hawkes, is the school’s founding principal.
This important transition was announced to staff last February, and, more
recently, to students and families.  Interested candidates should know that
they are entering a school community where student, staff, and parent voices
matter deeply.  We are a community that has been planning carefully for many
months to ensure that this change is empowering for all stake-holders – in
the short and long term.

The process that governs the hiring of a principal in NYC is called the C-30
process.  In order to be eligible, a candidate must be part of the
DOE “Principal Candidate Pool.”

In advance of the April, 2011 posting, all interested candidates should
ensure acceptance into the DOE pool.  For more information, visit the
following link:

http://schools.nyc.gov/Offices/DHR/CareerOpportunities/Principal+Candidate+Pool.htm

*A basic timeline*:

December 2010 – March 2011

Interested candidates ensure acceptance into NYC Principal Pool.

December 2010 – Feb 2011

*Qualified candidates should send a letter of interest to Elijah
Hawkes,*current principal, to discuss the current role of principal at
JBS.
Candidates who are unfamiliar with the school may request a time to visit
the school to become familiar with our classes, students, staff.

April 2010 2011

Projected time for official posting of the position by the Department of
Education.  (Two week posting period.)

May 2010 2011

C-30 hiring committee will review applicant resumes and conduct interviews.

June 2010 2011

New principal and current principal, school and partner staff, collaborate
as much as feasible in preparation for transition.

July 2010 – August 2010 2011

Summer school, summer planning, summer staff retreat.

*Learn more about JBS:*

If you're interested in more information about us, please have a look at our
website and the websites of our partners:

www.thejamesbaldwinschool.org

www.ceschangelab.org

www.essentialschools.org

www.elschools.org

www.nycoutwardbound.org

www.performanceassessment.org

And there are other texts and resources on-line that connect to our school
and our work:

§  An online conversation about the conception and start of our school:

*http://www.ceschangelab.org/cs/clpub/view/cl_askpanel/11*

§  A review of our school on Insideschools.org:

*http://www.insideschools.org/fs/school_profile.php?id=1451*

§  A *NY Times* article on our school that appeared on March 20th of 2006:
"A New York School That Teaches Teamwork by Camping."

*
http://www.nytimes.com/2006/03/20/nyregion/20expedition.html?_r=1&pagewanted=print&oref=slogin
*

§  A “Rethinking Schools’” article about James Baldwin’s work and the name
of our school:

*http://www.rethinkingschools.org/archive/21_02/name212.shtml*

* *

§  An old CNN story on our work as a transfer school: **

*www.cnn.com/SPECIALS/2008/news/uncovering.america***

* *

§  Candidates can also visit the DOE portal to review our Progress Reports
from recent years.  There you can also find School Quality Reviews,
demographic and budgetary information:
http://schools.nyc.gov/SchoolPortals/02/M313/default.htm **

*People to contact for more information: *

* *

·       Joe Cassidy, DOE Co-Network Leader (jcassid@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx).

·       Suzanne Tillman, Regional Director of Expeditionary Learning, at,
NYC Outward Bound (718-706-9900).

* *

If you are an interested candidate, review the above materials and send a
letter of interest to Elijah at the email address below.

For the JBS community,

Elijah Hawkes,                                                 Seth Rader,
Principal, Co-director
  Teacher
Co-director

tehawkes@xxxxxxxxx
sethrader@xxxxxxxxx

--
The paradox of education is precisely this - that as one begins to become
conscious one begins to examine the society in which he is being

James Baldwin

 __._,_.___
  Reply to
sender<sethrader@xxxxxxxxx?subject=Re%3A%20Opening%20for%20an%20amazing%20leader%20at%20The%20James%20Baldwin%20School>|
group<NYCoREUpdates@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx?subject=Re%3A%20Opening%20for%20an%20amazing%20leader%20at%20The%20James%20Baldwin%20School>|
via web
post<http://groups.yahoo.com/group/NYCoREUpdates/post;_ylc=X3oDMTJxcmdjcHNvBF9TAzk3MzU5NzE0BGdycElkAzEyODcxMTQ1BGdycHNwSWQDMTcwNTA4MjAxOQRtc2dJZAM4NDc3BHNlYwNmdHIEc2xrA3JwbHkEc3RpbWUDMTMwMDgwOTMxOQ--?act=reply&messageNum=8477>|
Start
a New
Topic<http://groups.yahoo.com/group/NYCoREUpdates/post;_ylc=X3oDMTJmYXUxZ2lpBF9TAzk3MzU5NzE0BGdycElkAzEyODcxMTQ1BGdycHNwSWQDMTcwNTA4MjAxOQRzZWMDZnRyBHNsawNudHBjBHN0aW1lAzEzMDA4MDkzMTk->
Messages in this
topic<http://groups.yahoo.com/group/NYCoREUpdates/message/8477;_ylc=X3oDMTM1cmhmcDBsBF9TAzk3MzU5NzE0BGdycElkAzEyODcxMTQ1BGdycHNwSWQDMTcwNTA4MjAxOQRtc2dJZAM4NDc3BHNlYwNmdHIEc2xrA3Z0cGMEc3RpbWUDMTMwMDgwOTMxOQR0cGNJZAM4NDc3>(
1)
 Recent Activity:

   - New
Members<http://groups.yahoo.com/group/NYCoREUpdates/members;_ylc=X3oDMTJnN2ExODFtBF9TAzk3MzU5NzE0BGdycElkAzEyODcxMTQ1BGdycHNwSWQDMTcwNTA4MjAxOQRzZWMDdnRsBHNsawN2bWJycwRzdGltZQMxMzAwODA5MzE5?o=6>
   7

 Visit Your
Group<http://groups.yahoo.com/group/NYCoREUpdates;_ylc=X3oDMTJmcThwdTYyBF9TAzk3MzU5NzE0BGdycElkAzEyODcxMTQ1BGdycHNwSWQDMTcwNTA4MjAxOQRzZWMDdnRsBHNsawN2Z2hwBHN0aW1lAzEzMDA4MDkzMTk->
 Messages posted to this listserv reflect the views and sources of the
individual sender only, and not the New York Collective of Radical Educators
as an organization.

To subscribe to New York Collective of Radical Educators' listserv, send
email to nycoreupdates-subscribe@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Join our facebook page: http://www.facebook.com/NYCoRE
Follow us on twitter: nycore3000
 [image: Yahoo!