[realmusicians] Solving Reason's Code Meter Problem, maybe?

  • From: Indigo <33indigo@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: realmusicians@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 25 Nov 2011 23:17:45 -0500

I'm beginning to realize how serious a threat Code Meter could be to the health of computers with screenreaders, especially on Windows 7 64; with our fragile Wineyes 7.5x. I had a lockup on my brand new zingy fast machine, with very little on it except Reaper 64, Sonar X1 demo, and Reason 6.

It froze so totally I had to shut down with the power button.
It's back up, but I can tell it's way slower now, and was damaged by the crash.
I had to restore back to the day I opened the box and set up the machine.

It doesn't matter to me that the new machine seems slower now; I'm not going to keep the Windows 7 on it anyway, I'll do a clean install of XP Pro, but I now think even a single hard drive caddy, or docking station, is a good idea, and I want a hard drive with nothing but the screenreader and Reason 6 on it. I'll partition it, with another partition for data, and try to devise some way to isolate Winize somewhat from Reason 6 if such a thing is possible. There's obviously no way round that Code Meter, so I'll try to live with it, but on its own hard drive, so it doesn't harm Sonar, Reaper and other things. The developer's license I got from PropellerHeads was so I could look into Reaper 6, in hopes of accessing it for blind musicians. I have to tell the truth about what I learn about Reason 6, that running it might come with problems from Code Meter. I don't know yet, maybe Code Meter won't harm NVDA, Jaws or System Access, and maybe there are ways to make WindowEyes tolerate it as well. Reason 6 on XP, with WindowEyes 6.1 didn't freeze up, so maybe that's my solution, but I still want it on its own hard drive, just in case
.
Indigo L