[realmusicians] Re: Hello From D!J!X!

  • From: "D!J!X!" <megamansuperior@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <realmusicians@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 7 Oct 2009 08:08:40 -0400

Wow, "The real nut cruncher" LMAO! Good way to start the day...
I want to upgrade to sonar8.5 to see what the new access bridge is all
about, to find out as I was mentioning over on the Jsonar list, wil sonar
make 32bit plugs appear to be native x64 apps/processes to windows, or will
they just run inside sonar x64 as 32bit apps/processes and use the wow64
protocol to communicate with windows/drivers/the hardware, it will make a
difference in performance, maybe not noticeable or big, but it'll add up
eventually I think...
You're right, time to let go of the old treasures, unless sonar as I was
speculating runs them as native x64 apps to the OS instead of x86, thereby
given the plugs direct access to the drivers and hardware... I'd hate to
have to let go of stuff like fm7 and absynth along with VSampler and reason,
so I'm hoping sonar can do something in the meantime, while I find x64
compatible replacements; running x86 (32bit) apps on an x64 OS, while
doable, they run a bit slower then as if they were running on the native x86
platform, I believe it's due to the wow64 protocol and all the translations
it needs to do to make the x86 software compatible to the x64 architecture,
so it's best to run all x64 apps on an x64 OS to truly get the real
experience. On some of the workstations I was putting together recently for
example, the way those native x64 apps launched and performed, man! It might
have to do with the fact that these were 4gb+ systems, but even jaws was
almost instant! Besides that however I didn't notice any other improvements
to the x64 edition of theShark11.0 in terms of stability, it's actually
really bad or worst...
So here's hoping for some miracle that 32bit plugs will appear as x64 to the
OS (which = better speed than if the OS had to translate the 32bit to 64),
or that companies like steinberg native instruments and musiclab would
update some of their more popular plugs to be x64 compatible (highly doubt
it)

End of rant, D!J!X!