[realmusicians] Re: Guitar talk.

  • From: Tom Kingston <tom.kingston@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: realmusicians@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 21 Dec 2011 07:46:19 -0500

Thanks Chris. Well, all this detuning stuff is something I'll save for later when I haven't got so many other things clogging my little brain. But you're right. I should have listened to my own common sense. Oh well. And so it goes.

Tom

On 12/21/2011 4:37 AM, Chris Belle wrote:
I'll have to ask my buddy Terry, he's got one.

Well, I wouldn't de-string a guitar and let it sit months, but they're
not fragile and you have to take the strings off to string them.

A little less or more isn't going to matter.

I do dropped d, and dad gad

and have even tuned the guitar down a step and a half before, kind of
makes the strings really floppy, but with heavier gauges, you can get by
with it, and
yes, common sense is almost never wrong.

There's no magic here, just well engineered wood and steel and glue,
precise measurements 'grin'.

At 11:59 PM 12/20/2011, you wrote:
Woe! Get out of my head, man! Heh!
I was just playing a while ago and thought, man, I need a good chair
to sit in that doesn't encumber my playing. I didn't come up with
anything, but of course I didn't give it much thought either.

And regarding detuning? Well you just perfectly illustrated my talking
about no one knowing anything. I called my old band mate last week or
something before getting the guitar set up and was telling him how
hellish trying to play this beast was. While we were chatting I said,
hey, I bet if I detune it then fretting will be at least a little more
managable. And he said, oh no, dude. You can't do that. It will throw
everything out of balance taking the normal tension off of the neck.
And that's not good for the guitar. Ah shoot, I thought. Just another
one of my stupid ideas. But I should have known he had no clue what he
was talking about. I knew he had no technical knowledge when we played
together, even though he was a good guitarist. But heck, even I've
heard of all these alternative tunings and dropped D tuning. But like
most people who know nothing, he was so convincing. I figured there
was some super complicated process that had to be followed to the
letter in order to mess around with the tuning. Sheesh. I should have
listened to my own common sense. Oh well.

Is there a name for these guitarist chairs?

Thanks,
Tom

On 12/21/2011 12:21 AM, Chris Belle wrote:
Hey, they make special armless chairs just for guitarists, that sort of
swivel and glide, but don't encomber you.

Another thing that can make the guitar easier to play is to detune it a
half step.

Easier on the neck and that's also another dimension because you get a
deeper tone.

A lot of the blues guys do this, tune to e flat.

The metal cats did too, so they could hit those high notes singing and
get deeper tone out of the guitar.

Offcourse, if this messes with your pitch sense, you may not want to do
that.

But I like to play dropped tuning sometimes.

Kind of gives the guitar a more medieval feel.

YOu know our standard 440 equal temprament tuning is a relatively new
thing historically musically speaking.

At 06:44 PM 12/20/2011, you wrote:
Well, I think a lot of this is personal preference about what you want
to do with the guitar. And for you who's been playing and gigging and
recording for so many years the guitar has played many rolls in your
life. For me, now that I'm heading on up toward old fartdom, I'm
looking for a nice comfortable, easy to play, relaxing and fun
instrument. And I've liked very much every recording I've heard of
this guitar. I guess my ears are getting tired too because I just
don't like a guitar with bite any more; especially an acoustic. And
I'm not looking for punch, power, and projection. I'm looking for a
relaxing time in my living room or out on my patio during sweet summer
nights. Sheesh. Maybe I'll have to get a rocking chair to go with this
old fart persona I'm falling into. grin.

It's very interesting to this novice what you say about mixing and
matching strings. So I'll have to file that away for future
consideration. But first I'll worry about learning to play more than 3
chords. Heh!

Regarding recording? Well of course I won't be able to resist that, no
matter how pathetic my playing is. Guitars have always been an
interesting beast to record because like any other instrument you can
get so many different sounds out of the same guitar depending on
microphone type, count, positioning, the environment, and so on.

Who knows. maybe one day I'll send you a recording. Just let me know
when you're down and out. that way it'll be a puppy upper and you'll
be hysterical by the time my concerto ends. grin.

Tom

Tom

On 12/20/2011 4:35 PM, Chris Belle wrote:
Well, there's no doubt that the taylors are easy to play.

the thin neck is part of it.

To me, it feels wimpy, I like a c neck and something to wrap my long
fingers around.

I don't have hammer massive hands, but they are long and strong if
slim.

You've got to think of the physical aspect of it too.

Thin strings mean less tone but a lighter easier fret.

It also means easier frett buzz because when you pluck hard, the
string
will extrude more, like a speaker cone.

Now that doesn't mean i like a big boomy martin necessarily, but
something that feels like an acoustic not an electric.

But if you've had finger injury like carpal tunnel, then the taylor is
probably a very good option for you.

You know, I know exactly what you mean about the feel of a slick
expensive baby grand.

I like a light touch on a keyboard, if a little heavier one on
guitars.

My roland piano digital unit which everyone raved about including
me has
decent action, but it sure ain't like greased lightning when playing
fast runs, I know with a real mechanical deal it's hammers and felt
and
balancing everything just right, but some of those are just so easy to
play, like those nose bleed steinways you talk about.

I play one of them at the store and I wan to throw my roland in the
trash 'grin'.

yes, stick bounce, and pedal action are everything, I'm not a drummer,
but I've played enough to know exactly what your talking about too.

I guess with guitars, what I'm saying is that I don't necessarily
want a
heavy feel but a substantial feel, and big tone, so I use light to
medium strings, never extra light.

I think you'll find that super light strings won't give you the
tone you
desire, there's just not enough metal vibrating.

You'll need to have the guitar set up for what ever string you end up
liking, and you'll have to experiment to see what works for you.

You can mix and match too, have heavier strings on top like starting
with a 12 or 13, but have lighter bottom strings, I guess after
playing
a 12 string for so many years, my hands can handle about anything, but
if I don't play for a while and loose my caluses, then my fingers cuss
at me 'grin'.

Another thing, if the action isn't so low, i can play slide guitar
easier, a super low action super easy to fret is impossible to play
slide guitar on 'grin'.

but diabetes is making my stamina less, my arm gets tired from baring
chords, even on my slinky electric strat plus which is easy to squeeze
as a drunk cheerleader on prom night, but these old muscles can't
do wha
they used to.

so maybe I'll have to modify my playing habbits eventually too.

but so far, the tocs have been my favorite good compromise with price
and quality, and the old engineer who broke me in at riverside
liked the
tocs too, because they record so sweet.

See, the guitar when your micing it has a hot spot, usually around the
bridge someplace imagine the half circle from the tail to the
bridge and
your lap, in that area is usually the best place to mic a guitar, some
like that 12th frett and body area, but when you find the hotspot you
don't have to roll off much low end, and the guitar just sounds so
natural and sweet.

Taylors
of course record well, the good ones anyway, haven't played any of the
cheap ones yet, but they sure are hamming on how good they are, and
how
you don't loose too much, you know how that goes 'grin'.

I wish I lived near you and could look at the guitar when you get it.

How exciting, this is another big adventure for you.

Who knows, you might really get good.

then you'll have to record something for us 'grin'.

At 02:53 PM 12/20/2011, you wrote:
Oh yeah, and here's what probably really sold me on the Taylor;
especially when I got them to give me a no questions asked return. I
was reading a review on it in one of the guitar magazines. And like
every other reviewer he said he had a half dozen other guitars;
and of
course they were the best of the best. But what he like most about
the
Taylor was it's playability. He said, I'm a busy guy or a lazy
guitarist, depending on who you ask. So, he said, when I've gone a
few
months without playing the Taylor is the only guitar I can pick up
and
really play. It's just that effortless. And as I said in another
message, I know first hand how much the action on any of these
instruments can easily be a make it or break it in the beginning, or,
a lingering hassle down the road even if you stick with it. Although
it's easy not to even know this if one has never played a much better
instrument.

And like an experienced guitarist like yourself, one who really knows
what they're talking about, I can tell you things that would probably
never enter your mind, like this. How many newbie drummers even
realize let alone think that there is such a thing as the action on a
drum kit? Very few, if any. And the feel of a kit can make a big
difference in one's playing. It's the same difference I feel on a
70,000 dollar Steinway when I go on one of my little dream escapades.
The sound quality doesn't impress me anywhere near as much as the
freedom I feel when playing. It's like taking a sack of potatoes off
of my mind's back. The physical aspect of playing just isn't there
any
more. And even I, the least objective listener, can hear a
quantifiable difference in my own playing. It's just much more fluid
and controlled, and I immediately fall into the music. If I had a
piano like that to play every day I'd spend a lot more time in that
elusive zone where I feel like I'm an observer; outside of my own
body. I hope you've experienced it and know what I'm talking
about. It
is musical ecstasy, and something I'm willing to empty my bank
account
on. Heh!

Tom

On 12/20/2011 3:14 PM, Tom Kingston wrote:
Oh, I'm sure I am paying a premium for the name because it
guarantees
quality. But I'm not a technician, none of the guitar players I know
are, and most of the folks at the dealers; especially chains like
Guitar
ripoff center, know squat. I even asked the tech who did the
setup on
the Ibanez I'm using. He used to work for Ovation and said you
can't go
wrong with a Taylor. Then I specifically asked if the same guitar
is out
there for half the price. He said that with most brands, yes, but
very
few of even the high end guitars from other big names are as
effortless
to play and as stable as a Taylor and babbled on some more about
stuff
that just flew over my head. Then he said that the other problem
with
finding the same quality guitar for half the price, regardless of
what
you're looking for, is it's a real crap shoot because when you go
down
into the mid range there are only two approaches to making guitars.
One
makes them look like a 5000 dollar guitar for 500 bucks and uses the
cheapest materials for construction, and the other puts all the
money
into actually building the best guitar they can for that price. The
result is that those cheap but high quality guitars look cheap
because
they didn't spend any money on cosmetics. And the result is that
only
the real knowledgeable guitarist buys the plane Jane while most
folks
buy a great looking guitar that falls apart in a few years. And
they all
sound and feel pretty good when they're new; especially to untrained
ears and hands.

So I figured I'd take the safe route and make a secure investment
because in all the reading I did on the subject one of the things
often
pointed out about the lower priced high quality guitars is that the
quality level and assurance is often not so stable at the end of
their
assembly lines. So you may get a good one and you may not. Luckily I
could afford not to gamble.

Tom

On 12/20/2011 1:58 PM, Chris Belle wrote:
Nothing wrong with going first class.

I don' think taylors are the last word in guitars by any means, but
they
certainly have earned great respect in a lot of important circles.

As long as you know a lot of what your paying for is the name.

At 12:01 PM 12/20/2011, you wrote:
Well, it's kind of a long story. But here's the short version.
After
learning everything I possibly could about acoustic guitars and
playing styles I decided that my goal was finger style. Then I
went
out and about and discovered that no one really knows about finger
style or, like me, that there are even guitars specifically
designed
for it. So, given the fact that I certainly don't know enough and
can't play enough to make an informed decision, and the finger
style
guitars are difficult to find to say the least, I went back to my
local dealer and he was able to order me a Taylor GC7 that I can
return if I don't like it.

Yeah, it probably sounds crazy, but experience has taught me
why 95%
of people tackling a new musical instrument give up. I believe
that a
huge percentage is due to playability. And I know that I no longer
have the drive or patience to bully my way through to where I
want to
go. And I'm very thankful that I have the means to make such a
seemingly insane purchase. But I hope that the combination of a
seductive feel and gorgeous sound will inspire me and have me
grabbing
my beloved Taylor, or whatever I ultimately end up with, every
chance
I get.

Tom

On 12/20/2011 9:41 AM, Chris Belle wrote:
So, what did you end up ordering?

At 04:09 AM 12/20/2011, you wrote:
Well, be it that I want to play finger style pretty much
everything
about it is closer to classical. While I decided not to go with
nylon
strings, the guitar I've got coming is a finger style guitar
with
the
wider neck for that little extra spacing between strings to give
your
fingers room to work. And it comes with ultra light strings to
again
make it more workable with finger style. So I'll lean more
toward
what
classical guitarists have to say due to the similarities; e.g.
working
all 5 fingers on the right hand independently. I just marvel
when I
hear one person playing one guitar and they're able to put out a
bass
line, rhythm accompaniment, and the melody to boot. Yeah, I'm
probably
a big dreamer, but what the heck. I might as well go for the
gold.
Heh! At least a finger style guitar gives you the option to fall
back
to picking if you want. It ain't so easy the other way around.

Tom

On 12/20/2011 3:51 AM, Chris Belle wrote:
Yes, well, classical technique is always a good place to start.

wish I'd paid more attention when my piano teacher was tryin to
pound
scales in to my rebellious un-interested head when I was a
young
bratt
'grin'.

Well, you know big egos and guitar players, I bet it's well, I
know
it's
the same thing with programming, or horse racing, or anything,
that
pretends to be a science or technical, there's a world of
options and
ways to do things, and sifting through what works and what is
non-sense
is tricky sometimes.

Classical guitar is unique in that the strings are much further
apart,
and the neck is wider.

YOu don't do as much bending on nylon strings as they just
don't
stretch
as much.

Notice Willie Nelson doing those half bends on that cat-gut
guitar he
bangs on all the time, but it works for Willie.

Your technically not supposed to use a pick on a classical
guitar
anyway, but folks do for different effects.

Kind of like me using a felt pick on a bass to kind of get that
finger
sound when I need to play fast runs because my bass playing is
typical
of a guitar player who picks up a bass, I've learned not to
over-play,
but the technique is different.

YOu get a more round, warm tone with fingers on guitar or
bass, but
without a pick, you can't get those yummy rhythm tracks I was
talking
about in the last email.

But those great finger players, are amazing,
Chet,
and all his clan, doyle dykes is someone to check out, a texas
boy
who
makes sparks come off the guitar.

I do ok with finger style though it's not my strong suite, but
have
never mastered using finger picks, the kind you put on to
finger
play
but get a louder brighter sound.

Growing your fingernails out is a good compromise, but if you
ever
get a
split nail, your kind of screwed.

Finger style is beautiful though, I kind of like to do a hybrid
sometimes where I hold the pick but use my middle finger and
ring
finger
and pinkie to do some finger work.

That way I can strum and pick both, and them some guitar
players
only
use a thumb pick instead of a traditional flat pick, and can
play
blazing runs that way.

Ah, the guitar world is a vast universe.

At 01:34 AM 12/20/2011, you wrote:
Hey Chris,

Yeah, like I said, what a mind blowing experience it was to
feel the
difference in that guitar after it was set up. I couldn't
believe it
had turned that gorilla into a sweet little chimp. Maybe it
will get
my nephew playing again when I give it back to him.

Oh, I know pretty much anything goes as far as how we play. I
just
want to make sure I don't get started with bad left hand
positioning.
I dealt with carpel tunnel for about 18 months many years ago
and it
wasn't fun. But luckily, when I finally figured out what was
causing
it; something that I can't for the life of me remember now,
just
making one change cleared it up and I've never felt it
again. I
understand now that the left hand technique varies widely from
guitarist to guitarist. It's just funny how every single
contradictory
YouTube video I've seen on it has someone explaining in
elaborate
detail why their way is the absolutely indisputable one and
only
right
way. Although I did find an interesting one yesterday from
some
internationally renowned classical guitarist explaining hand
technique
and it really made the most sense of all. Like so many
things, it
just
made perfect sense after she explained it. And while in some
ways
she
was saying the same thing some of the other folks were, she
just
made
it so obvious with such simple examples I couldn't help but
say,
yeah,
that's it. I get it. It was all about simply maintaining as
natural a
hand position as possible. And I'm sure these classical folks
have
studied the begeebers out of it. So that's good.

Thanks for your offer to help. I really appreciate it. Sure,
we'll
hook up when things calm down after the holidays. And I'll
have a
little better grasp on what I'm doing by then too.

Oh, and your explanation about capos makes sense now that I
hear
it in
practical terms. But I've got a few weeks to go before I'll be
playing
Hotel California anyway. Ha!

Thanks again,
Tom

On 12/19/2011 8:38 AM, Chris Belle wrote:
hey Tom,

yes, you discovered that getting your guitar set-up, at
least the
first
time, is very important.

YOu don't necessarily have to do it every year, but you'll
know if
things atart to drift.

YOu know, there are so many different ways of playing the
guitar,
you
know Jeff heely played it in his lap laid down.

YOu know, if it works, at least to some extent, it's right.

but a good guitar instructor can show you the basics and you
can
modify
from there.

there is no really wrong way to play the guitar, every which
way
your
fings can go and are possible to go can make a chord and you
can
bet
somebody has used it.

Everything from plane jane chording to putting the thumb
over the
top of
the neck wrapping your hand around and catching that last
note
that
way,
or using your right hand to tap harmonics like eddy van
halen on
the
song spanish fly,
I'm sure you've heard that, amazing what he did with a
classical
guitar,
anything you can imagine being done with a guitar has
probably
been
done.

and to quote your old saying, if it sounds good, it is good.

I think though that your thoughts of getting a good local
instructor are
a wise move.

Maybe I can call you on the phone and help you a bit too.

Let me get past the christmas stuff 'grin'.

At 04:37 AM 12/19/2011, you wrote:
Hey folks,

Here's a little report on my guitar adventure and a
couple of
questions.

I've been doing endless research on the web for weeks now
trying to
have at least some idea of what I'm talking about when it
comes to
guitars. And like every instrument, there's a heck of a lot
more
to it
than we think. Although, sheesh, you'd think I would have
learned
this
by now. Oh well. It's been a very interesting adventure.

Next I borrowed my nephew's guitar to give it a shot. He
hasn't
played
it in years. So, just like the last time I did the same I
decided
after only a few days that it was simply too cruel and
inhumane
punishment and couldn't imagine how guitarists do it. And
yes, I
knew
it should be set up, but not knowing any more than the
concept
of the
process, which made perfect sense, I couldn't imagine it
making
any
real difference on such a guitar gorilla. I think it's an
Ibanez, but
I keep forgetting to ask.

So, before I gave up again I said, what the heck, and
brought it
in to
be set up. I got it back yesterday. All I can say is, holy
guitar
tech, batman! It felt like they gave me a new guitar. The
difference
was absolutely mind blowing. Heck, by last night I was
whamming
through a chord progression, doing quick mutes, and even
tossing
in a
body slap here and there. I couldn't believe it. And my
fingers
aren't
even sore. I can feel that I've been playing, but I wouldn't
call it
pain. And previous to this setup it was literally
impossible for
me to
play one chord. It took every last ounce of strength I had
in my
left
hand just to get one out of a dozen attempts to kind of,
almost,
vaguely sound like some kind of a mangled chord. And after
that
long 5
or 10 minute session I had to quit because my fingers were
screaming
so loud I couldn't even hear what I was trying to do. So I'm
completely sold on annual setups. And most importantly, I
finally
have
some real inspiration to play the guitar.

In practical terms, yesterday was my first real day on the
guitar. So
if I can get a chord progression going in one day I think I
should be
able to enjoy the guitar, which is what's most important to
me.
So,
needless to say, I'm pumped about it.

Okay, and now for the questions.
Right now my main focus is on chord fingering. Of course
coming
from
the piano on which we have a linear playing surface wherein
we can
play the 3 inversions of any chord from top to bottom
through
out the
entire range of the instrument with nothing more than
rotating
finger
positions, the guitar neck is more abstract to me. But I
assume
there's got to be some logic to it other than memorizing a
thousand
specific fingerings. I've watched a ton of YouTube
videos, and
in one
of them the guy referred to the most basic chords by a
specific
name,
which I don't remember now. And I'm not talking about major,
minor,
sevenths, etc. This was specific to the fret fingering and I
assume
neck position on the guitar. I know how to figure out most
chords,
but
don't see any logic on how to apply it to the guitar. Of
course
the
range you want to play in as well as preventing your left
hand
fingers
from getting tied up into nasty bundles of knots are
obvious.
But I'm
assuming there's more to go on than that and a trial and
error
method.

I've spent the last couple hours googling blind accessible
guitar
chord charts and just guitar chord charts, and all I got
was a
bunch
of tab sheets for songs with blind in the title, a bunch of
stuff
from
a band with blind in the name, and a ton of purely visual
chord
charts.

So I'm wondering if anyone has or knows where to get a
readable
chord
note/fingering chart. And I'd also be interested in any
links to
accessible tab sheets.

And just as a final note, boy, there seems to be quite a few
really
good guitar lessons available on DVD now. But it's hard to
tell if
they're too tied to the video. Although I must say, I've
been
pretty
impressed at how many folks posting YouTube videos realize
that
just
watching someone play isn't going to do much of anything
even
for a
sighted person. So while they use the cameras as an adjunct
to the
lesson, they still explain in detail exactly what they're
doing
with
every finger, fret, and string. But of course these are
just a
pile of
little snippets. And conversely, I can't believe how many
YouTube
videos that say: learn how to play insert song name here,
are
absolutely nothing but a video of someone playing the tune.
Not a
single word is spoken. I figure these folks just want to
watch
themselves.

My biggest concern at this point is to get my left hand
positioned
correctly. I know how easy it is for a beginner to make
things
work in
the wrong way when they're just learning the basics. But
then it
becomes a very painful reality check when they get to the
next
level
and realize that their incorrect hand position makes getting
there
impossible, so they have to start all over again and go
through
the
difficult process of trying to break a bad habit and learn
a new
one.
I'm actually considering trying to find a true professional
instructor, which usually isn't easy, just to get me
started and
mainly to watch my every move and make sure that every
physical
aspect
of me and the guitar is correct. I believe this is one of
the
most
important aspects of playing an instrument that is most
often
unknown,
overlooked, or simply ignored because we don't think it's
that
important.

Okay. Enough babbling for now. Thanks for listening.

Tomster the bombster, guitarist extraordinaire! Heh!

For all your audio production needs and technology training,
visit
us at

www.affordablestudioservices.com
or contact