[ratpack] Re: ratpack Digest V2 #111

  • From: Chris Lindh <chrislindh@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: ratpack@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 18 May 2010 22:32:32 -0400

That is exactly the information I needed Ray, thanks!  I knew it was a
simple fix - I am way too close to the parts.  I need to back up and
zoom more.  I also shouldn't worry if the lights on the side or any
other unnecessary items end up in the shot - I'm cropping and editing
in PhotoShop anyway.  I'll try to back up on the next round of parts.

I bought different lamps at Harbor Freight - the new ones are designed
to hold a light on a tool like a band saw (magnetic base).  They hold
their position better than the first lamps I had (they drooped).  I
would like to find a different lamp shades for them though, more like
the white umbrellas you see on a photo set.  Some of the parts show
less shadow and some show more.  The longer an item the more you see
the variations due to 3 separate light sources.

>>Depth of field. Use as small an aperture as possible. The smaller the
>>aperture, the deeper...etc.

Another way is to use a relatively long lens and back way off from the
subject..well, not WAY off, but if you think if depth of field in
ratio and proportion, when the distance between the subject and the
focal plane is short, the DoF shortens proportionately. When you back
off a foot or two, the depth of field can expand as well as the
distance to subject.

It looks like you've done real well at eliminating shadows. Funny
thing. I was just reading a FaceBook post by Bret Kepner. Any tv drag
racing fans will prolly recognize his name. I met him earlier this
year in Portland. He's been trying to do the same thing with cars and
bikes. Here's he web site:

http://bretkepnerphotos.com/

The photo he showed was this one:

http://www.raytherat.com/kepner/32098_1487699474691_1300072411_1342200_1327744_n.jpg
He was bitching about the shadows on the walls. He used "numerous
slave units at many different settings." That's all I know. His
http://www.raytherat.com/kepner/12301_1460886324379_1300072411_1280429_7658894_n.jpg
A pretty damned good job if ya axe me.

hth,

On 5/18/2010 7:13 PM, Chris Lindh wrote:

    I'm barely hanging on the edge of the list...  (I'm on digest mode,
    miss out on the attached photos)  Sales are growing, which is good,
    but margins are shrinking, which I expected... Quickbooks will let me
    know how I'm really doing when I make the time to enter all my sales.

    I'm not a good one for coming up with a nickname.  I've been called
    Linder (from the last name Lindh).

    I have been taking more photos, of family events and of parts, the
    attached is a photo I took today.  How do I make more of the item in
    focus?  (I think John mentioned it but I can't recall the solution).