[ratpack] Re: When I want your opinion I'll ask for it...

  • From: Ray Buck <rbuck@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: ratpack@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 16 Jul 2010 16:32:54 -0600

I agree with Carl. I think the photo follows more "rules" than it breaks. If ya look at the rule of thirds and the "golden rectangle" yer right there. As far as a level horizon...well, how would ya know? I think that rule is completely passé. I'll make horizontal horizons if they make sense, but I've learned from this group that this isn't a hard and fast rule, especially in a composition like yours.

Not knowing what filter you were using, I'll say that it could be an internal lens flare. You shot it at f8 and 1/500th according to the exif data. My 18-200 lens will do the same thing with backlit subjects (I guess the headlights could fill the bill the same as backlighting) in almost exactly the same angle from the center of the photo...or the lightest spot of the subject. It does it at any aperture smaller than 6.3. Drove me nuts as I was looking at photos taken inside the dome in Pocatello last March: http://www.chevyasylum.com/cruisin/cruisin2010/20100319/multiple/100319.html Scan thru these and look for a light gray smudge in the upper left quadrant of the photo. I can't tell ya how many times I cleaned the lens, viewfinder and sensor tryin to get rid of 'em.

Anyway, it's a gorgeous shot and the pairs of "non-corporeal eyeballs" make it seem like there are a coupla wraiths looking over the car.

Sent from my Dreadnought using that barely tolerable Thunderbird email program

On 7/15/2010 10:21 PM, Michael Wells wrote:
All,

My dad used to say to me 'When I want your opinion I'll ask for it...' well I'm asking for your opinion. I'm attaching a photo that I personally like, in fact I have a 12x24 print of it in my cubical at work. It goes against many of the rules of photography but beauty is in the eye... I like the star effect from the head lights as well as the ghost lights, which I believe are a reflection from my filter, any how, I like the reflection of the clouds off the front cowling and windshield and the dark green against the gray of the pavement.

So let me know what you think, maybe I'm alone on this one.

Dr Z

--
Dr. Z
aka Michael Wells