[ratpack] WERA Races at Miller

  • From: Michael Wells <mcwellsphoto@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: ratpack@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 23 May 2010 17:36:56 -0600

Rat Packers,

Since my wife worked all day on Saturday I decided to take a chance with the
weather and head out to the track, and I'm glad I did, even though it looked
like we would get dumped on, the rain took an easterly turn at the lake so
we had a dry track all day. The WERA organization, which is the minor league
for the guys that will be racing at Miller on the Memorial Day weekend, had
plans for many different types of races for the weekend, Saturday happened
to be a 6 hour endurance race that would require several pit stops for the
teams. From what I could gather each rider would ride about 45 minutes, each
team had from two to four riders and some teams had multiple bikes. I love
to have a media vest because they allow those with vests full access to all
the activities on pit lane. So I wondered around the track for most of the
day and ended up on pit lane to get pics of pit stops and all that happens
around the teams. Of all of the vehicles I've seen at Miller these guys were
by far the fastest, they were racing on the outer track so they had the full
use of the front straight, I asked one of the WERA officials what kind of
speeds they were reaching and he told me that by the time they grabbed the
brakes they were hitting 180+, some were even flirting with 200 MPH. I also
experimented with some vertical shots and liked some of the results. So take
a look at the two wheeled mad men and let me know what you think, this is
just a taste of the 5000 shots I took yesterday.

http://www.pbase.com/twistedlight/wera_2010

Dr Zamboni

--
Michael Wells