[ratpack] Re: More on Polarizing filters.

  • From: Ray Buck <rbuck@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: ratpack@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 21 Jul 2010 08:24:00 -0600

Could that Corvair possibly have looked like this one?

This 67 Monza has been around for a few years and is one of my favorites.
The plate sez it all.  One day I'm gonna ask the owner about gettin a ride in it...might even see if he'd let me drive it gently around the block (after the show, of course.)

I've loved Corvairs since the time I owned a 62.  I'm still pissed at Ralph Nader who killed the car in order to make a name for himself.  Frikkin jerk.

Btw, this is the 2nd generation of Corvair that was built from 65-69:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chevrolet_Corvair

I also owned a Sunbeam Alpine for a while.  It was under the spell of Lucas, Prince of Darkness and it ain't at the top of my favorites list.  Nice looking car, but too many issues to be dealt with at the time and since I had a wife pregnant with 1st child, I had to get rid of some toys.

I also have a soft spot for Studes.  I still dream of putting a Silver Hawk body on a Corvette frame.  That would just be over-the-top kool in my eyes.  I've wanted to do that since 1968.  'Course I've wanted a Lotus Elite since 59, so...well, it's on the Bucket List.

I hope to be at VF Mall tonite.  I'll just have one lens, the 18-200.  The IF air show sounds kool, but I'll be at the car show in Kamas.  I've never been to that one.  I predict patches of light followed by patches of dark for that show...like the Logan deal with cars parked under trees and light that sux a big one...especially since it's being held at Kamas City Park.

I'm glad ya validated what I found about polarizers on light flares from paint and metal...and it works very well as a 2-stop ND filter.

I got the photos from the Air Power invitational on the server:
http://www.chevyasylum.com/racing/racing2010/20100711/02-api/Welcome.html  I'm workin on the ALMS paddock photos now.  The hurrier I go...well, you know.

On 7/21/2010 7:36 AM, humminboid@xxxxxxxxxxx wrote:

At the car show yesterday: The usual suspects, plus a lot more different cars. (Yay!)  Coupla very nice '55 Ford hardtops.  One guy had his 3 window coupe towing a beautifully-restored Chris-Craft speedboat, and another had a Corvair! Must have been a late model, because at first I thought it might have been a Camaro.  Haven't seen one of those in a coon's age.  There was another one(I think) that had the typical rear vents, and the name plate, + a strange one that didn't quite fit with what I had seen on Corvairs AND  a big V-8 stuffed in the front trunk, but it looked like a Camaro, too. Hmmmm...confused? not me!

No images: I just wasn't satisfied with the lot!  Maybe next time.

You may wonder at a guy getting jazzed about Corvairs...it is one of my  favoritest  cars, the others being the Sunbeam Alpine, BMW 507, Jaguar XK140, and '54 Studillac.

Same cars will be at Valley Fair Mall tonight.  Maybe I'll go, if the wife gets home from work early enough.  Idaho Falls for the air show with the Blue Angels Saturday!  I does truly love things with wings!  Only taking 2 lenses, the 18-55 "kit" and my new Nikon 70-300 VR.

Reflections from auto paint must appear like metallic reflections, at least to a  circular polarizer, because no effect was observed at any angle, but it did act like a dandy neutral-density filter.