[ratpack] Re: Miller & Selling Pics

  • From: Ray Buck <rbuck@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: ratpack@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 15 May 2010 01:05:58 -0600

Comments interspersed.

On 5/14/2010 9:55 AM, Larry Knight wrote:
I've had a few thoughts on this banning thing.
1. What are we really talking about "being banned" ? Are we just talking about Miller not letting us into the big events as locals? Or are they not going let us into the MRPA events too? We need to be clear on this before a proposal is made. If we are talking about the Big events, well we are not just talking about Miller. In fact my editor was stunned that Miller even let any of us in without a media outlet sponsoring us. We may have been living on borrowed time at the first event! I don't think any proposal will help with that. They have the sanctioning body in charge on those, even if JG does handle the credentials, he is given a set of rules by ALMS, Grand Am, SBK etc. I am not sure where to go with that problem. Might be we all meet in the Club House grandstands and rent bigger lenses. (what an optimist I am ----- not)

It wasn't made clear to me exactly what was happening. But I got the impression that we weren't actually "banned" but that our credentialling entity would have to make the request for each event. Don't quote me on that, but I think that's what he was trying to say.

2. If we are being banned from the smaller events, then I'm pissed, er.... a.... I mean then maybe a proposal or meeting, or even signing a legally binding waiver, would help. I once told JG that if he ever needed any pics form any event, that Jeremy wasn't able to attend, to call me and I would be happy to help out. I even said I would sign a waiver that I wouldn't come back at the track for $$$. He more or less told me they wouldn't come up with a waiver for me to sign, and it was not worth the hassle to even deal with these kind of small potatos arrangements, but he did thank me and was very gracious about the offer. So I am not sure about a waiver either.

It sounds to me like JG just wanted to keep you (and the rest of us) in a state of limbo, not really knowing whether we'll have credentials from week to week. I don't think he does this out of malice, but as you wrote, he's worried about his job and I don't think he wants to commit to anything, just in case someone says, "Well, John Gardner told me this would be ok" to Brian or one of the other Grand Poobahs.

3. I agree with you Ray, I don't think JG is the guy to approach with any type of porposal. Great Guy but I think he is always worried about his job, since his last name is not Miller (if you have ever worked for a family company, you can relate) and sticking up for a bunch of locals, who may have violated a fundamental rule of photography doesn't bode well for ones non-related-to-the-owner careeer!!

Well said. It explains the place JG's in. And I really have compassion for him in that "double bind."

4. Brian Miller might just be the guy. But have you ever tried to get an e-mail through to anyone in authority at any of Miller's businesses? I've never gotten a reply back and not just from the track either. I think we would have to draft a letter (yes, on paper) and send it registered mail, explaining what we would like to do, and how it would beneift them. We also might want to let JG know what we are doing so he isn't blind sided and we ruin a relationship with him. After all, most of us really like him and wouldn't want him to be pissed off at us. Kind of tricky though, he may tell us not to do it. Hmmmmmm

It's definitely a thought. But given the argument in the following paragraph, I'm not sure how far it would get.

5. I have talked to a few racing Orgainzation reps about shooting for/with them in my breif time as a photog, and I recall one of the guys lighting up like a roman candle at me saying: "I'll be damned if I am going to let you just walk right in and make money off all of my hard work and effort, and I get nothing from it" he went on for a few minutes more and told me to go to hell. So Miller probably has a similar thought process about us locals making money off their hard work (track). Zamboini probably has the right idea, in that we need to give them value back. Offering a package to participants might be the best offer we could make. I did like your comment Ray that you put a link on your webpage to Miller, that could help if we all agreed to do that. Will smugmug or pbase work with a link like that??

All of us have given Miller's the very best publicity and complimentary comments. It should be seen as a partnership: when we cover races, we give them publicity. In return, they should let us do our thing so we CAN generate that good PR.

I've had that link and good words on my site for a coupla years. JG did actually thank me once. But it appears to be not only a "but what have you done for me lately" thing, but a "you're getting us in hot water" deal. Again, that's how it came across to me. And it seems that we, the locals, aren't the "guilty party" here.

I dunno if SM or PB allow links, although it looks like they do. It's worth a shot, at least.

6. I have sort of given up on making money at this photog thing, at least much money. I still plan on casually approaching some local racers and the working with the NASA organizers once a year, but that's about it for me. It is just not worth the hassle to me. I am not a salesman, I hate it. If I am approached, well that is a different story, but to go out and hussle.........Naaa thanks anyway, there is not enough $$ involved. I am a motorsports fan first and a photographer second. So if we are banned, I'll just shoot from the stands. I will be there anyway to watch motorsports even if I have to pay to get in. Besides I have had skin canser twice, and there is shade in them there stands.

I put some thought into this thing tonite. I've been doing well, moving along with my business plan...but it's come up against a coupla brick walls: big business and other photogs protecting their turf like a pit bull.

I'm starting to believe the theory that sez if ya got something, there's someone or something that wants to take it away. As we've gotten to be better photographers, we've started moving up the ladder to the point that we're running into entities that don't want anyone to make any money unless they get a portion of it...or all of it plus Draconian sums asked for in harassment lawsuits.

Kepner told me that the crashes and blown motors that Mark Rebilas shoots at NHRA tracks are "vetted" by NHRA and if he were to sell a shot of something the NHRA didn't want seen, he'd be banned for life. Again, turf war and control (read: money) issues.

I'm thinking that maybe I otta just concentrate on Salt Flats photography and the hell with the cruise nites, car shows and local racers. They're all to damned cheap to buy anything and if, by some brief moment of spending, they might actually want to part with a coupla bucks, then there's someone waiting in the shadows (or maybe looking over your shoulder) who wants a part of it...if not all of it.

7. Maybe we as a group need another lunch to talk more about this face to face. E-mail is great and all but not as good as togetherness.

That would work for me. I'm free up until 5:30 next Saturday. I'd be real happy to get together. Or even if it's at the Ace Cafe...doesn't matter.

I think I'm at a place where I have to make some decisions about where I want this thing to go.

Wake up!!!! I'm almost done now.
Zamboni, I think you could be right about waterfalls, they hold some interest to me. In order for me to photograph things, I need to be really excited by what I see come through the lens. Motorsports, my family, oceans, sunsets, and beautiful women are about it. The beautiful women thing is a real problem for my wife, so scratch most of that, Track Girls do get a small waiver though. I shot a Jazz game from the stands a few weeks ago. Even if I had a bigger lens and credentials, not interesting enough for me, I was bored with it, and found my lens aiming at the Jazz dancers more than the Jazz players, which is not good since I was sitting next to my wife!! Maybe waterfalls will work too. I may try some high school track meets, they seem like fun.

I understand Mr. Z's concept. I enjoy getting a good photo of just about anything. But I'm much more of a gear head who enjoys photographing cars/bikes/trucks...vehicles in general, especially if they're bright and shiny and/or make loud noises. Right at this moment, I'm not interested in pursuing any other lines of photography unless I put 100 percent into it....like doing photos of old barns and sheepherders' shacks that are in various states of disrepair. I'm attracted to those as subjects. 'Course there would always be the property owner who wants his slice of the pie...the farmer who hasn't been to that barn in 20 years, but as soon as he sees someone with a camera, he's gonna be right there with his hand out, wanting something for nothing.

Ray, maybe you learn some day to never ask me for feedback, see what happens (humor)

Nope this, was great, well thought out stuff. It's very thought-provoking and has me mentally rushing off in all directions trying to make sense of it all. But underlying it is the concept of the little guy (that's us) coming up against the big business monoliths.

I dunno.  I'm tired and I wanna go to sleep.  So I will.

But before I hit the sack, I'll give a web address for y'all to peruse:
http://www.nmpaonline.com/ The National Motorsports Press Association. $35 a year to join. But I don't know what real benefit it would be to us. It's something to look into, tho.