[ratpack] Re: Miller & Selling Pics

  • From: Michael Wells <mcwellsphoto@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: ratpack@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 14 May 2010 11:18:42 -0600

I think it was Larry who once mentioned talking to a photographer at a race
and how he had lost his love for the event because of the business it had
become. Right now I'm excited about shooting cars so I'm all gung-ho about
things that go on out at Miller. I'd hate to get to the point where I don't
look forward to attending an event cause I have to shoot it as opposed to
wanting to shoot it.

I shot 3 weddings for friends as a wedding gift, and I explained to them
that they were getting what they paid for. So it was then that I decided
that I didn't want to try and make a living as a wedding photographer. I'd
like to try and find a way to make photography a career but that doesn't
look too likely. After talking to Steve Cabana at last years NASA race it
sounds like maybe we should be approaching the groups like SCCA or NASA on a
local level, Steve is in real tight with the NASA organization and is at
most of the events for the west coast chapter. Now as much as I'd like to, I
don't have the means to travel around the Mountain West with either the SCCA
or NASA groups so we're limited to what goes on at Miller.

I still think there would be a lot of the karting folks that would buy
packages of their kids on the track but if we want to propose photography
packages to people racing at Miller either on the big track or the karting
track although we'd probably have to offer Miller some kind of kick back on
everything sold. It would be cool if the track would hand out a flier to all
of the racers at the track that photographs would be available to them if
they so wish. I mean Disney Land does it for people riding their rides. If
we sat down and put together a reasonable offer to make photographs
available to the racers with a kickback to the track then maybe we can keep
the access we enjoy now and maybe even have preferential treatment to the
visiting organizations like the ALMS guys when it come to getting
credentials sponsored by Miller. It would not be a bad idea though to talk
to JG a bit to get his feelings and maybe even his buy-in on something like
this, and like Larr said you don't want him to get blind-sided by something
so getting some input from him might not be a bad idea, we want him on our
side.

Just throwing it out there to see what sticks. Again I agree with Larr (I
must be temporarily insane) that we should probable sit down over lunch and
discuss this, I'm jonesing for some good rootbeer.

Zamboni

--
Michael Wells
MCWells Photography