[ratpack] I can't believe the difference in these images

  • From: Ray Buck <rbuck@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: ratpack@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 10 Jul 2010 23:11:29 -0600

I've been less than effervescent about my 7D ever since I got it. It seemed to be lacking something, although I could get fairly good stuff from it. But after setting the Sharpness, Contrast and Saturation in the User-defined Picture style, I gotta say that I'm absolutely flabbergasted. Check these two images. Number 0027 is the standard setting in the camera. Number 0348 is with the above adjustments maxed out. I applied the same post-processing procedures to both of 'em.

The first is what I've been seeing from the camera and wondered why I was always adding color saturation to the shots. The second is probably a bit over the top and certainly isn't what one would want to use for portraiture, but fer cryin out loud, why did Canon decide to cripple this frikkin camera out of the box? These settings are on just about any EOS DSLR (I think they're on the Rebel models, although I'm not positive) but they didn't seem to make such a difference in image quality. This is also unreel. I'm coming unglued.

I dunno what to say. I'm just gonna go back to work on the posters I have to have prepped for the ayem. Btw, there will be "Pirate Chicks" at the false grid for the "Pirate Invitational" race, probably on the pre-grid at 9 am.

Sent from my Dreadnought using that barely tolerable Thunderbird email program