[ratpack] Bracketing -

  • From: Aleta Boyce <alboyce@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: ratpack@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 31 May 2010 18:36:04 -0600

Hey, guys - I had to learn what the term bracketing meant early on, as I had no idea how to get the correct exposure the first time, and had to try 3 or more settings, over exposed, under and right on, to get the one I wanted -

http://www.all-things-photography.com/exposure-bracketing.html
It means you have the ability to be able to take three shots of the same scene each with differing exposure, white balance or flash values. One is taken with a correct exposure according to the metering setting on your camera, one is underexposed and one is overexposed. The under and over exposed shots can be taken within a range of + or - 3 stops either way with half stop increments.

On May 31, 2010, at 5:53 AM, John Christensen wrote:

I was thinking there was some sort of setting that bracketed a focus area or something. I know now you just mean getting it all squared up in the picture..... at least I think that is what you mean.

JC

On Sun, May 30, 2010 at 12:35 PM, Ray Buck <rbuck@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
I'm not sure what ya mean. Holding the camera above my head? I just set the lens for its widest focal length, hold it as high as I can and make an educated guess about where to point it. Sometimes it takes several tries before I get what I'm looking for.

If I misinterpreted your question lemme know, k?

Sent from my Dreadnought using that barely tolerable Thunderbird email program

On 5/29/2010 6:12 AM, John Christensen wrote:

Bracketing...... I know you havce mentioned it before, but what exactly is it? How does it work.

J (too lazy to look for the manual) C

Moving right along, I man have FINALLY come to grips with the 7D's autofocus issues. I shot a car show last nite with it. Since I was more interested in focus and sharpness, I bracketed the shots and found that in most cases it tends to overexpose by 1/3 to 1/2 stop. But the photos are nice and crisp. There's one of Bill William's Deuce roadster that's probably the best shot I've ever gotten of it. It's a bitch to shoot indoors because of the reflections and flares on the black and chrome. But I liked this shot. I find myself alternating between low-angle and "top down" shots for some reason. It's said that Andy Southard carried a ladder to many of his shoots: http://www.jalopyjournal.com/?p=5028 . I've found that holding the camera above my head comes close. It's a lot easier with digital than it musta been for him and many others with "analog film." Speakin of which, I found that there's still film in my Pentax. I'll shoot up the rest of the roll and see what turns up. It's sure a loud SOB. About twice as noisy as the Canons.

Anyway, I had a real good time at the show and I'm REAL pleased with the quality of the images. This is the first time I've been able to say that about the 7D. Maybe it knew that I was on the verge of putting it up for sale. :) I'll keep it for the moment.

RtR