[radioastro] Pulsar signal to noise ratio in Radio JOVE, Pulsar nulling in PSR B1112+50

  • From: Victor Herrero <hubbleed@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: RadioAstro <radioastro@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 16 Aug 2010 15:39:57 -0700

Pulsar signal to noise ratio in Radio JOVE, Pulsar nulling in PSR B1112+50

Hello to all of you interested in Mathematics and Physics in Radio JOVE.

9 months ago there was a claim that pulsars could be detected with Radio
JOVE Kits.

Some of us became very interested and worked hard to confirm the claim.

Whit Reeve observed with a 3 element Yagi he had in Anchorage Alaska, Dave
Typinski wrote software to reduce the data, using the Mathematica package, I
wrote programs to generate test data for Dave's software, using the Python
package. We estimated the Signal to Noise ratio expected in RJ Kits and
searched the literature. The data was submitted to Jim Van Prooyen for
analysis with his software.

We did not succeed, but we have kept an interest in studying pulsars in
other ways.

Can pulsars be observed with RJ Kits ?
What is the basic Math behind it ?

Here is an interesting note about the nulling effect shown by some pulsars:
http://www.astron.nl/dailyimage/index.html?main.php?date=20100809

It comes from the ASTRON Institute for Radio Astronomy in the Netherlands.
They have started to operate the giant LOFAR array:
http://herrero.freei.me/lofar/index.html

Victor