[radioastro] Re: Pulsar charts requested

  • From: Victor Herrero <hubbleed@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Radio JOVE NASA GSFC <radiojove@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 7 Aug 2010 07:37:29 -0700

I copy below the email I sent Jim Van Prooyen, and 7 other Radio JOVE
participants, on December 9 2009, the day of the Io-B coordinated observing
telecon.

My recollection is that I expressed great interest in Jim's work on pulsars,
using Kit Instruments. The discussion was constructive.

With my friends Whit Reeve and Dave Typinski, I collaborated with Jim Van
Prooyen during December and January 2010, with great enthusiasm. Whit
submitted data to Jim, and Jim sent us output which we discussed with much
interest.

The data and results do not belong to me, otherwise I would post them.

Victor

======================================

Victor Herrero <hubbleed@xxxxxxxxx>     Wed, Dec 9, 2009 at 9:32 PM
To: James Van Prooyen <grro@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Cc: Jim Thieman <james.r.thieman@xxxxxxxx>, Jim Sky <radiosky@xxxxxxxxxxxx>,
John Avellone <JGAVELLONE@xxxxxxx>, "Whitham D. Reeve" <wreeve@xxxxxxx>,
Dave Typinski <davetyp@xxxxxxxxxx>, Wesley Greenman <greenman@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>,
Steve McCauley <esmac@xxxxxxxxxx>

Pulsar detections with Radio Jove dipoles
James H. Van Prooyen N8PQK  <grro@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Grand Rapids, Michigan

Hi Jim,

I enjoyed our discussion during the coordinated observing telcon, Io-B
December 9 2009.

As I understood, you have been able to detect pulsars using 1 hour
observations, at about 10 samples per second, collected with Sky Pipe
software and standard dipoles.

The pulsars have periods of more than 1 second. You estimate that the Parkes
pulsar catalog lists more than 200 pulsars of that type:
http://www.atnf.csiro.au/research/pulsar/psrcat/
http://www.atnf.csiro.au/research/pulsar/ppta/

I asked if pulsar observations could be used to calibrate RJ antennas, and
you felt that it should be possible.

The flux of pulsars is much higher at lower frequencies, for example
B1919+21 has a flux of 69.75 mJy at 406 MHz, 16897 mJy at 20.5 MHz.

What will it take for RJ participants to reproduce and add to your
detections ?

I copy participants that may be interested in this.

Victor