[radioastro] Location and format of SWAVES ASCII data files

  • From: Victor Herrero <hubbleed@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Juan Fernando Tonatiuh Hernández Escobar <cecilixz@xxxxxxxxxxx>, Marco Nicolini <heygio@xxxxxxxx>, Peter Hughes <PHughes@xxxxxxxxxx>, David Fields <fieldsde@xxxxxxx>, Steve McCauley <esmac@xxxxxxxxxx>, Dave Typinski <davetyp@xxxxxxxxxx>, "Whitham D. Reeve" <whitreeve@xxxxxxxxx>, Terrence Flower <tfflower@xxxxxxxxxx>, Jim Thieman <james.r.thieman@xxxxxxxx>, Divyadarshan Purohit <divyadarshan63@xxxxxxxxx>, Ramón Menéndez-Manjón <ramon.ramon.astronomers@xxxxxxxxx>, Tushar Sharma <sharma.tushar17@xxxxxxxxx>, Alfonso CastilloAbrego <cendap@xxxxxxxxxxx>, Thomas Ashcraft <ashcraft@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, John Avellone <JGAVELLONE@xxxxxxx>, Arturo Garcia Cole <cole@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, Dalila Martinez <dmarti@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, FRANCISCO BERSUNSES <siriober@xxxxxxxxxxx>, Red Radio Astro <red-radioastronomia-en-espanol@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, Cristian Leon Irribarra <celeon2@xxxxxxxxx>, "Karen & Jim Carson" <kjcarson@xxxxxxxxx>, Pablo Gonzalez <pablomgonzalez@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, Clint Jeffrey <clintonjeffrey1@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 26 Aug 2010 09:49:00 -0700

Location and format of SWAVES ASCII data files

A person who loves radio astronomy, math, software, and the Mathematica
package, has expressed interest in taking a peek at the SWAVES ASCII files.

Is anybody else interested in Mathematica, and perhaps uses it in their
Classroom ?
How about Maple and Python ?

The Daily Summary graphics are generated using IDL, a very good but
expensive package. I do not have it at this time. If anybody has access to
it, we could get IDL scripts used by SWAVES, and modify them.

The files are at:
http://swaves.gsfc.nasa.gov/data/s-waves-ds/
There are folders for the years 2006 (when STEREO started observations) to
2010, and a "new" directory, with the recently announced changes.
See also: http://stereo-ssc.nascom.nasa.gov/data/ins_data/swaves/

For example, for 20090415, the data files are:
http://swaves.gsfc.nasa.gov/data/s-waves-ds/2009/swaves_average_20090415_a_hfr.dat
http://swaves.gsfc.nasa.gov/data/s-waves-ds/2009/swaves_average_20090415_a_lfr.dat
http://swaves.gsfc.nasa.gov/data/s-waves-ds/2009/swaves_average_20090415_b_hfr.dat
http://swaves.gsfc.nasa.gov/data/s-waves-ds/2009/swaves_average_20090415_b_lfr.dat
for the A and B observatories, high frequency and low frequency bands.

The file format is specified at:
http://stereo-ssc.nascom.nasa.gov/data/ins_data/swaves/SWAVES1m.txt

I am unable to find all the data files for 2009, 2010, and the "new"
directory, and I will ask Joe Gurman to tell me where they are.

Victor