[radioastro] Cyclotron maser theory: Wu 1985 and Hess et al. 2008

  • From: Victor Herrero <hubbleed@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Juan Fernando Tonatiuh Hernández Escobar <cecilixz@xxxxxxxxxxx>, Marco Nicolini <heygio@xxxxxxxx>, Peter Hughes <PHughes@xxxxxxxxxx>, David Fields <fieldsde@xxxxxxx>, Steve McCauley <esmac@xxxxxxxxxx>, Dave Typinski <davetyp@xxxxxxxxxx>, "Whitham D. Reeve" <whitreeve@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 14 Aug 2010 11:00:10 -0700

Cyclotron maser theory: Wu 1985 and Hess et al. 2008

Hello to all of you who have expressed interest in cyclotron maser theory.

Many papers have been written on this topic.

Wu 1985:  http://adsabs.harvard.edu/abs/1985SSRv...41..215W
is the 84 page 120 equation paper, and is difficult for me, but may be easy
for some of you.

It is one of many papers Wu has authored on the subject, and is frequently
referenced in current research.
It shows in mathematical detail how masers emit radiation cones, and the
necessary conditions for this to happen.

Hess et al. 2008:  http://adsabs.harvard.edu/abs/2008GeoRL..3513107H
is much shorter. It refers to Wu 1985, and discusses the modeling of Jovian
decametric arcs, using Wu's maser theory.

This is a group from Paris Observatory (which operates the Nancay Radio
Observatory in central France).
Their PRES code appears promising, and they plan to continue doing an
extensive parametric fit to many Jovian arc observations

There is a lot I need to learn on this subject, and I look forward to
discussing it with all of you.

Many thanks for your interest.

Victor