[racktables-users] Re: racktable features: vms, blades, rackoverview

Hi Ronny,

Blades have been a concern for us a  we have over 14 racks full of
blades..

What we are doing is the we create mini racks.  We have over 350 Dell
1955 and m600 blades, so we create  14 u rack for the 1955's and 20u
rack for the m600.

Our naming convention then takes over.

For rack BI-07, which is a 42u rack full of Dell 1955's  we create 6
mini racks (14u).  Then we name the racks BI-07-01, BI-07-08, BI-07-15,
BI-07-22, BI-07-29, and BI-07-36.  The last part is U number of the
bottom of the enclosure.  Now you ask, if that enclosure only has 10
blades, why a 14u mini rack, the other 4 are used for the Cisco 3032
switches.  It is not the prettiest solution but it works for us.

Now if there was a way to put racks in racks...   that would solve our
problem, but I am so confident on the guys who are working on racktables
that it is only a matter of time, before they come up with a workable
solution......

thanks for the hard work guys..

Luis

On Wed, 2009-03-25 at 10:31 +0100, Ronny Stein wrote:
> Hi,
>

> we use racktables for our server rooms too. In the past we manage the
> overview with some excel sheets (>10!)
>

> At the moment all our racks are filled in. But there are some features
> we missing. So we patched some values in racktables:
>

> -         To Manage virtual machines (we do it with the “hosted on”
> mod and some tag´s to see vmclient-vmhost)
>
> -         To Manage blade servers (at this time no usable solution)
>
> -         Get a formatted printable output from the rack overview with
> some detail informations, like dell-tag and 1 manage ip. We patched
> the interfaces.xx and rename the static-attributes to our values. It
> works but we must write some ip informations twice to racktables, not
> nice.
>

> Some other users have also this problems. Perhaps it works in some
> future version?
>

> At last Racktables is a great tool and we are definitely go from our
> old excel “solution” to racktables in the future.
>

> Best regards
>

> Ronny
>

> Mit freundlichen Grüßen
>

> Ronny Stein
>
> Sendesystem & Technik | vwd group

> Der Inhalt dieser E-Mail ist ausschließlich für den bezeichneten
> Adressaten bestimmt.
> Wenn Sie nicht der vorgesehene Adressat dieser E-Mail oder dessen
> Vertreter sein
> sollten, so beachten Sie bitte, dass jede Form der Kenntnisnahme,
> Veröffentlichung,
> Vervielfältigung oder Weitergabe des Inhalts dieser E-Mail unzulässig
> ist. Wir bitten
> Sie, sich in diesem Fall mit dem Absender der E-Mail in Verbindung zu
> setzen.
>

> The content of this e-mail is meant exclusively for the person to whom
> it is addressed.
> If you are not the person to whom this e-mail is addressed or his/her
> representative,
> please be informed that any form of knowledge, publication,
> duplication or distribution
> of the content of this e-mail is inadmissible. In such cases we kindly
> ask you to contact
> the sender of this e-mail.

Luis Fernando Lacayo
Chicago Public Schools
Senior Unix Administrator
ITS/ UNIX Infrastructure
Office: 773-553-3835
Cell: 773-203-4493
lflacayo@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
               "In God we trust, the rest we monitor ..."