[racktables-users] question regarding power plug design

  • From: Frank Altpeter <frank-racktables@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: racktables-users <racktables-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 26 Sep 2008 16:58:07 +0200

Hi list,

I currently have some problems in thinking about how to document the power
connection at our data centre.

I thought about doing something like that:

Add an object called "power supply" with type "PDU" and some ports with
type "power plug". Then connect servers via their power plug port to this
power supply.
Well, as long as each connection is single-ended, there's no problem, but
now it comes...

Our structrure contains a master USV which divides into several power
distributions, each secured by a dedicated fuse. These power distributions
end on a rack, which then divides into multiple power plug connectors.
So, I have for example 6 servers that are connected to the same fuse via a
multiple socket. Since RackTables just supports connecting one port to one
other, unlike the IPv4 subsystem, I'm not sure how to handle this without
having to add every multiple socket as an own object.

So, how should I proceed here? Are there any ideas for that or is it
planned to support one-to-many connections for ports just like IPv4
already provides?

Le deagh dhùraghd,

        Frank Altpeter

--