[racktables-users] Re: Rooms/Floors/Buildings.

  • From: "Tyler J. Wagner" <tyler@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: racktables-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 04 Mar 2011 14:24:30 +0000

On Fri, 2011-03-04 at 07:56 -0600, Les Mikesell wrote:
> But the hard part (and much of the point of racktables) is the visual
> display.
> Can you generalize how nested objects should appear?  Or should only racks be
> displayed with the containing objects just used for navigation?.  Or only the
> innermost objects - or objects that have rack position and size attributes?

I would again define that by ObjectType. For ObjectType "Rack", define
it as having a number of rows with 3 columns (front/middle/back). For
ObjectType "Row", define it as having an number of columns with 1 row
each. For ObjectType "Room", define both rows and columns as
configurable. Leave the x and y as definable on each object, with some
sane defaults defined in the ObjectType template.

Allowing more columns would also solve the tall PDU problem. Racks could
have columns for the PDUs with one row in them.

In this case, visualisation must either be a flat x by y grid (like
now), or we'd have to actually define things in 3D and have multiple
views. Flat is good enough for now, even if it makes the tall PDU column
look odd.

Regards,
Tyler

--
"Cheops' Law: Nothing ever gets built on schedule or within budget."
   -- Lazarus Long, "Time Enough for Love", by Robert A. Heinlein