[racktables-users] Re: PatchPanel Object

On Oct 28, 2008, at 9:35, Denis Ovsienko wrote:

We have been trying to figure out how the PatchPanel Object works. There does not seem to be a way to join 2 connections to 1 PatchPanel port.

Has the PatchPanel object been implemented yet?

Hello.

Cable tracing feature is a must for some datacenters, but I must tell,
I'm not in such an environment, and all the people who contribute(d)
aren't either. Before ever considering this onto a todo list it's
necessary to know, how many people really need those traces. Can you
tell?

--
   Denis Ovsienko

Actually, i've been working on that too.
The reason the patch I sent earlier wasn't against the svn trunk is because I also started implementing another feature, which isn't finished yet. This works basically by specifying two patch panels in the naming convention of ppXXrack and ppXXpatch. The first will be the patch panel in the rack, the second it's counterpart in our patchracks. By using this information and modifying the 'ports and links' table for an object, we get an extra column 'Patched device' which displays the end of the patched cable. This isn't completely done yet, but I could roll a diff of this change combined with the cable naming patch for people to try out (we're running it over here for a 50-rack installation and it works pretty well).

Joost