[racktables-users] Re: %GPASS% and server model

  • From: Wawrzyniec Niewodniczański <wawrzek.niewodniczanski@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <racktables-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 17 Mar 2011 12:41:01 +0000

On 03/16/11 14:43, Tyler J. Wagner wrote:
On Wed, 2011-03-16 at 15:37 +0100, Frank Altpeter wrote:
Big NACK :-)

It has its sense and I find it useful.
Seconded. I use GPASS and GSKIP and find them both very useful. If
anything, this should be even MORE strongly typed. Hardware types should
define a template of ports, RU height and depth, etc. When you assign a
hardware type to an object, create the missing ports.

I more than agree with you on the idea of extending information about hardware models, but I don't think using GPASS and GSKIP is right way to split such information. If we want to split such information we should do it properly i.e. to create a new tables two separate columns Vendor and Hardware Type (of course later we can add more fields). In such scenario you will have two drop down menu - Vendor and Model and models would be define base vendor. It should address Frank's concern. But I aware that it's significant code change.

I also agree with Matt - I really like idea of sharing hardware definition. We add new hardware because we have to, but why not to share it with others and save them some work. To do this easier maybe we should create a 'Hardware Marketplace' you can post your definition so others can download them. In general I prefer pull method (you pull only chose elements) rather then push (when you have to push the whole database of definitions). And again I aware that such (or similar) change are not trivial.

Cheers,
Wawrzek

--
Wawrzyniec (Wawrzek) Niewodniczański - 01223 435603 (35603) - wawrzekn
System Administrator - Engineering Services Team (XenServer)