[racktables-users] Fedora users call

  • From: Denis Ovsienko <infrastation@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: racktables-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 23 May 2011 17:37:14 +0400

Hello, list.

I am glad to announce, that an updated (0.19.4) version of RackTables RPM is
available in Fedora 14/15 and RHEL6. At the time of this writing the RPM should
have hit every working mirror of these distributions. Thanks to Colin Coe, who
contributes this work to RedHat.

This updated RPM provides the latest stable release precisely packed in a way
to make use of some new code specific to 0.19 release cycle. This means, that
from now on Fedora users should have a very straightforward way of upgrading
their instance of RackTables. Namely, after running "yum install RackTables"
and adding an extra symlink (as explained in details in README.Fedora file,
which is a part of the package) the system is ready for the HTTP installer
round. And once it is completed, a single "yum update RackTables" command would
update the files part of the application, when a new release is available. HTTP
upgrade script would still need to be run to update the database, but at least
the files part of the job are now taken care of. An upgrade from non-RPM to RPM
version of RackTables would require moving the secret.php file to
/etc/RackTables directory.

This new layout implemented in the RPM puts some of the user's files aside from
the application files: secret.php and local.php are now expected to be in
/etc/RackTables, this is a Fedora-specific difference. In later versions we
will consider more user-modified files to be put this way, but not right now.

I advise all users of Fedora 14/15 and RHEL6 to try the new package.

--
    Denis Ovsienko