[racktables-users] Re: Feature Suggestions

  • From: Alexey Andriyanov <alan-74@xxxxxxx>
  • To: racktables-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 09 May 2011 20:42:46 +0400

Hello.

1. The error reporting in RT has been poor traditionally. It can't be fixed both fast and systemically, so I'm afraid this question will remain opened for a long time. However, you can rely on the fact that the only reason the object creation fails is duplicate object name, they should be unique.

2. I doubt it will be realized in the foreseeable future, too. You can use simple php script to delete many objects at once:
<?php
$script_mode = TRUE;
require '/path/to/init.php';
foreach (scanRealmByText('object', '{one} and {two}') as $obj) {
  commitDeleteObject($obj['id']);
}
?>

3. This feature would be helpful, thanks. It may appear in 0.20.0.

03.05.2011 00:25, Costa Galazios:

Hello all,

I'm currently in the process of populating my instance of RT 0.19.4 with about 2000 devices.

During this process, I've found a few ideas that I'd like to submit for your consideration.

1. Specify details of failed object creation. When you successfully add a number of objects, their creation in confirmed in a green background. But, if only one object fails to create due to a common name conflict, it only says "Database Error: such record already exists". I believe a more concise report of what the conflictd were, and what objects were created successfully, would be good.

2. Deleting objects/racks/etc. - I believe having delete icons next to the list views of objects etc. would be great, as opposed to only on the "properties" tab.

3. Object rack placement during creation *big one* - I think it would be great if we could select a rack, then select to create new objects in that rack. Then, when creating the new objects, we could specify their rack position and size in U. This would be a *huge* time saver when creating lots of devices, since currently I have to first create them all, then manually associate them with their row/rack/U.

If any of these already exist, sorry for not noticing.

Cheers!