[racktables-users] Re: 0.17, 0.18, VLANs

  • From: Michael Camino <mikeyc@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: racktables-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 08 May 2010 14:30:02 -0400

I would be interested in being a beta tester for you. Just as a FYI i use cat 6506, cat 6509 and cat 2975 in my enviroment.I then use 6748 and 6148 switch modules.

On 5/8/2010 12:33 PM, Denis Ovsienko wrote:
Hello, list.

I would like to provide an overview of project's development. Current
"maintenance" (0.17.x) line will likely be finished with version 0.17.11 this
summer. About the same time the first release of 0.18 series will be made. Its main
improvement is support of 802.1Q VLANs, which I tried to design around datacenter
application of Ethernet networks. I am interested in getting feedback about this new code
before 0.18 branch gets stabilized, so if you have a number of ports, which you would
like to manage through RackTables, there is additional information below.

The main idea is to store all 802.1Q configuration information in the database
(unlike LiveVLANs, which had no memory). This SQL configuration can be edited
and eventually gets deployed onto the actual device. The intial release will
likely support FastIron, Catalyst, Quidway and Nexus managed switches with
their differences hidden behind the user interface.

Another key point is to move as much decision making from switches to
RackTables as possible. In the new model network administrator binds every
managed switch with a management domain (which roughly stands for a role of
GVRP/VTP domains) and with a template (which tells, e.g. which ports are
uplinks). Together with the configuration of each particular port this data is
used to deploy only those bits, which are necessary for a particular switch to
perform according to its spec.

Of course, there is always a place for a fault in both design and
implementation. I am looking for people with experience in VLAN management and
with 10 to 100 managed switches to participate in pre-release testing. This
would include setting up a development version of RackTables in their network,
and actually using it for at least a fraction of VLAN management. I am already
doing first configuration deploys with this code.

--
  Denis Ovsienko