[python] Re: pythoon ride

  • From: Frank Schmaus <frank.schmaus@xxxxxx>
  • To: python@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 04 May 2010 10:37:37 +0200

Hi Dirk,

I think your concept is the safest I've seen on two wheels. A lot safer than those upright seats balancing on the back. I just think it's boring to look at your back all the time. I just remember myself sitting on the handle bar of my fathers bike for years. We also had more than 10km to the town and did that every day with the bike. I was always sitting in that oldschool seat on the handlebar of my father, face to face. I loved that, because I could query questions for hours and he had no reason not to answer them in very detail. Anyhow he had nothing else to do. Learned more in that 4 years than I did in 10 years of school :)

That's the only reason why I want somthing with the kids in front. But you are right, a huge tadpole trike is not that handy and fast than a single track bike is.

The only concern I see with your bike, when thinking about a small crash with your son in the back, is the danger of hurting his hands, when holding the rail or even trying to hold himself against the fall to the side. Maybe a handle inside the box to hold on could help here, but on the other side, it is normal to have a little danger, you also have that when he'll be on his own bike. I really love it like it is. Don't kill the concept because of others, telling you it isn't safe. That's just because it's unusual. I think it's very safe.

Cheers,
Frank

Dirk Bonné schrieb:
Hi Frank

There are some really fine pythons out there, so thanks for the complement!

You mean a christiania-a-like bike? Such a bike is fine for Town, but
not practical for long distances (I have 10kms to Town).

It is not really clear to me, but I think you insinuate there is a
safety issue with the bike ;-)  It doesn't matter if you didn't, I
wanted to post something about that anyway. Safety issues are usually
very high on the priority list of any parent ---and concretely it
concerns me because I am the one responsible for my son _and_ riding
this bike.

Here is bicylce called the "bakfiets" (it was an inspiration for my bike):

    http://babyccinokids.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/01/bakfiets4.jpg .

These kids sit much higher--- my son sits at 15cm height. I do not think
the pythoon is more dangerous than a bakfiets (not taking into account
the speed difference; but OTOH speed is in my own hands).

And I am sure that it is much safer then (e.g):

http://www.testberichte.de/test/produkt_tests_hamax_plus_kindersitz_p125686.html We own this child seat. There is nothing wrong with the seat, it is a
good product, just like the test says. Only, the bike gets unstable
because of bad weight distribution. And height of the child is even
worse. How can the test result on that page really say "very good"?

What I think isn't good with the current state of the pythoon is:
* box is not closed in bottom and sides
* seat must be enlarged so he gets a head rest
* find a helmet for him that fits - a good bombshell-helmet.

I get a lot of responses (probably will wear of when everybody in Odense
has finally seen me ;-) ), mostly positive (also of mothers!!). I had
some negative, but up to now they were only concerning the regular
"disadvantages" of a recumbent (i.e. recumbert=invisible).

groeten, Dirk

On 5/2/2010 9:51 PM, Frank Schmaus wrote:
Hi there,
I realy love your bike. It's one of the coolest Pythons I've seen so far.
But if I have to carry around kids in far future, I think I'll go for
something three wheeled, with the kids in front of the pilot, sitting
in a stable box, where they can look around and talk to the driver. :)
Cheers,
Frank

Dirk Bonné schrieb:
Just wanted to share an video showing a ride with the pythoon:

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0NRXeL89TwA

regards, Dirk