[python] Re: [python]

  • From: Dirk Bonné <dirk.bonne@xxxxxxx>
  • To: python@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 20 Aug 2010 11:14:15 +0200

Hello Howard,

I am very glad to hear that! Amazing how fast you are able to change
pivot angles on your bike. I had pivot problems myself on the pythoon,
and it took me weeks of grinding theeths to make a change.

May be if the pivot angle gets decreased, the axis line gets better
positioned? Anyway,have some photos/some geonmetry numbers to look at?
So we can see what happened to the bike?

About wheel-flop (or the opposite: self centering): I always found that
smallest self centering effect is best. It should just be large enough
to counteract wheel flop. It should be so that the front part does not
want to tend to turn into the curve more than it does. That way you get
a very agile bike where everything is in balance. On the "pythoon," this
balance is tipped toward self-centering (more centering than flop).
Still okay but not as good as it has been on the "baby python". On the
"baby python" even sharp-turning was practically effortless (except for
slow-ultra-short-turns where the front part is swung to its max
deflection), making it quick in reacting - I had only to overcome the
inertia of the front part. It was ideal to swing through these stupid
bars I meet on bicycle roads.

On the flevo (positve trail), without the rubber damper installed, you
had wheel flop when turning into the curve, you had to stop it from
turning, and pull the front part up again. And that is because there is
no self centering to compensate the wheel flop. But it was still (well)
rideable, and damn quick in the curves, slower to get out of it again ;-)

I have no idea if trikes and bicycles are different.We have none that
tried 50 or 55 degrees on a 2wheel-python yet, afaik.

Dirk