[python] Re: pivot angle

  • From: Ray Schümacher <mtb@xxxxxxx>
  • To: python@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 13 Jun 2005 20:40:36 -0700

At 07:30 PM 6/13/2005, you wrote:
>I can fine tune the actual pivot angle by simply adjusting the
>length of one or both of the rod ends.  This way, I can find out what angle
>is best for the trail and CG height of the bike.

Sounds like the best idea. I never got around to that.

>> If the angle is very steep (70+) you are on the safe side concerning
>> wheel flop, BUT self centering force is weak and the bike might get
>> too nervous and instable at high speeds.

I went to 70 because I found the exaggerated side-to-side and large turn radius
of a low angle a big issue while learning. Now that I have a lot more miles on
it, I still think I'll keep it there. When I descend I push on both pedals a
bit, "stretching out" the frame, and that is adding a lot more to the centering
force than a few extra degrees, I think. Of course, I've never gone over 40Kmh
either...

Overall, the python turned out much better than my trike or tandem did, and I
like just cruising around on it. I also don't need a lock, since I doubt anyone
would get far!
If I build another bike, it will be a monocoque enclosed racer, a la Diablo II.

Have fun!
Ray