[python] Re: frame geometry and pivot angle

  • From: George Durbridge <gdurbrid@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: python@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 29 Mar 2012 15:56:48 +1100

It works, just try it. It's easier to do than to describe. You have to
keep each half of the paper flat, so the only bend or curve in the paper
is the fold you put in it, and keep one half of the paper perpendicular
to the table.

The lower edge of the paper represents a python frame, hinged at the
fold. That edge lies flat on the table when not bent at the fold
(hinge). If bending the paper at the fold causes one end to bite into
the table, then the hinge of a similar real python will rise when the
frame bends, because the ends of the frame (the two dropouts) are always
held at constant height above ground. In that case, the frame has the
inverse pendulum geometry which contributes to stability.

There's an even easier way to see this, since we are just looking at the
hinge angle and the dropouts. If the distances between the dropouts and
the hinge and the hinge angle are the same, a Python frame has the same
inverse pendulum property, whether it is going forwards or backwards.

Patrick's other point is the real worry with a hinge which is angled
down to the rear. The negative trail will be huge. The trail is the
distance along the ground from the contact point of the front tyre to
the point where the projection of the steering axis meets the ground. By
convention it is positive, if the steering axis ends in front of the
contact patch (as on upright bikes) and negative, if the steering axis
is behind the contact patch (as with Pythons). Positive trail tends to
keep the steering stable, and negative trail tends to make the steering
unstable. On an upright bike, you achieve self-correcting steering by
designing in 2-3 inches of positive trail. This is impossible with a
Python, so you make it stable by a) keeping negative trail to a minimum
and b) the inverse pendulum effect.