[python] Re: faired Python

  • From: Rhisiart Gwilym <Rhisiart@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: python@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 2 Apr 2009 13:33:32 +0100

Siwmae eto Stephan,

I've not ridden any of these trikes yet. Just watched a lot of video, and done a lot of calculating and musing. But I'm pretty sure that the leaners seem good. Paul Sims, who built one with the OTHER leaning system, loves it, and raced himself nearly into the ground with it when he first went on it, according to his account.

Regarding the fairing idea, I also think that if I can't get it to work satisfactorily on a classic Jurgen-style Python, then I need to make Mark 2 a Dennis Renner Python (if it really is a Python; seems so to me, but with that intriguing geometry), and then there'll be no difficulty about a single-piece fairing, since the whole front two-thirds of the bike is a single rigid unit, on which the rider sits, with the steering articulation under and behind a little. Simply uncharted territory though. The only way is to try it and see.

And that Couign Amann! Isn't that a beautiful bike! As soon as I saw the rider riding easily hands-off, Python-style, I just loved it, and began to think at once -- impractically -- of an immediate Mark 3.....

Cof,  RhG

Annwyl Rhisiart,

i owned a Flevo-Trike some years ago, and i did not like it because it wasn´t a good feeling to ride it. I had a problem with every little bump in the street, because it effected the steering and made the trike steering away from my route.
Since this i didnt wanted to have a trike again.

I wonder if a leaning trike behaves like that too. I think it woudn´t because a backwheel can be liftet whithout effects to the steering.
Is that right ?

Last year i had a test ride on a stein-trike (austian manufacturer) and loved it, but i couldn't test it on a rough path. It has no leaning, but the frame drifts in the suspension a little, that makes it possible to lean a bit. And its light, has a prfect suspension and you can have much fun with it, only the price is high.

Now the Idea of having a trike again grows more and more.
Let's see what the summer brings, if i have time and i feel like, maybe i spend some time in the workshop ...

I like Wolfgang Bion´s Mambo, seems to be a great bike.
And Wolfgang lives not far away, maybe he lets me see his trike.
I contacted him last summer because of his folding Kajak, maybe he remembers me ?

Viele Grüße,
        Stephan