[python] Re: crazy idea?

  • From: pybuen@xxxxxxxxx
  • To: python@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 29 Apr 2011 21:19:51 +0800 (WST)

Hi Dirk,

I really like that idea!

What's more, if you include the reprap printer in the frame, you could have... a self-replicating python! (Well, almost, as much as the reprap is self-replicating I guess: many components look nonplastic in the picture...)

I think that your idea would work provided you only use the plastic joints to align all the elements of your frame, effectively acting as a jig itself that you would then secure with the carbon fiber (I think this is what you were meaning indeed), much as the frames made by Calfee <http://www.calfeedesign.com/>. Instead of steel, you could use wood for the struts too :), even easier to cut...

Indeed, the joints is precisely what is stressed most in a truss structure. And I guess the plastic would not be able to withstand much stress. But obviously, carbon fiber can for Calfee, so that should work for you too. Some technical skills might be necessary though, to wrap the joint well enough.

There is nice tech paper about pros and cons of carbon fiber and other materials on his webiste there: <http://www.calfeedesign.com/tech-papers/technical-white-paper>

Go for it!
Regards,
Pascal

On Fri, 29 Apr 2011, Dirk Bonné wrote:

A week ago I came across the reprap project (reprap.org), which is an
"open source" 3D printing machine. Such a printer can print pieces of
plastic, supposedly in any form as long at it is limited in size. I'm
very much tempted making such a machine for my self (as winter project).

One idea I have is to build a bike (e.g. python) using the reprap. The
goal would be to build a trellis-framed python, like my own bike
(pythoon) and some others seen on the project page. I would still use
regular steel tubing with small diameter (8-16mm), but the joints
connecting those tubes would be printed plastic bits that are pressed
inside of the tube. The construction process would look like this:
1 design all the joints connecting the tubes.
2 print them -> results in "inner lugs".
3 cut the metal tubes to the right length (tube cutter).
4 assemble the frame by pressing the plastic joints in the tubes.

=> at this point I would like that the bike is stiff enough to hold itself.

The next phase would strengthen the bike by wrapping uni-directional
carbon fiber around the joints (like using a tape roll wrapping it
around forming a "outer lug":

5 paint the tubes with a primer before wrapping the CF around
6 cut the roll of unidirectional CF in long strands about 1cm width
7 use a brush dipping the CF with epoxy while wrapping it around the
joints firmly connecting the tubes to the joints.

What I hope the advantages would be:
* sharing: possible to share the design between people - anybody with a
3d-printer could produce a bike. It would even be possible to make a
program that given some parameters can produce a custom measurements.
* easier/quicklier: the tubes are just cu wih a plain tube cutter tool.
There is much less measuring and filing involved (making a trellis frame
can really be horrible - especially when brazing where precision means all).
* easier: no need for a jig. The joints would make the frame pre-stiff
enough to easily adjust the frame as a whole using a measuring stick.
* equipement: no welding/brazing equipement needed (ok, you need a 3d
printer....).

Other directions: the same process would be useful for a pure CF-bike or
may be a bamboo-bike...

What is your take on the idea? Is there ny around iwth experience with
3d printing product?. Could it work? Would there be a real advantage?

DirkB

PS: with the reprap I discovered there is a 3D CAD for programmers:
OpenSCAD. For those with the programming ability, it might be
alternative for autocad and the like.