[python] Re: Some News

  • From: Rhisiart Gwilym <Rhisiart@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: python@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 23 Jan 2009 13:38:20 +0000

Jürgen Mages wrote:

 3. Dennis Renner from USA has built a FWD-RWS recumbent which seems to
 work pretty well:

 > http://de.youtube.com/watch?v=KMA7CTfbpwo
Waw, that is really amazing! I always thought a FWD/RWS was impossible
to ride. Would like to find out more!

Dirk

Hej Dirk!

I thought just the same. I contacted Dennis, to ask him a few things. He answers very promptly. Here's a copy of what he said:

1)
Thanks for the compliments.

My design is quite complicated to build. It took me a year and 5 months of my spare time to build it the first time. The jig I built took a month and a half. The wheel base is 45 inches', and the steering head tube angle is 71 degrees. The steering system on my bike is a split handle bar design. each side moves only backwards and forwards like joy sticks. A control rod system is designed so that the brain still thinks it is turning the front wheel like a normal bike. This why it is easy to ride. I have not taken the time to draft up plans of my design as of yet. I built it from ruff drafts. I am working on a lowracer design using this configuration now that I have the handling bugs worked out. Perhaps in the future plans will be available. I will try to post some more picture of it in the near future. Thanks again for your interest.

Dennis Renner

My reply:

 Thanks for the quick response, Dennis. I can see from your videos and
 you jig-work that you're a much more meticulous engineer than me. One
 thing that would be a really useful study image would be a side view
 of the whole bike, with a foot-rule laid between the wheels to get an
 idea of sizes. The wheel base and head angle are crucial bits of info
 too. Thanks for that. I already think that I'm going to have to
 follow the trail you've unexpectedly opened up with this excellent
 bike and see if I can build a FWD-RWS. Really exciting breakthrough.
 Respect. Thanks! RhG

Dennis's second reply:

I will do.  Give me a day or two as it is raining now. Sincerely Dennis Renner

Hwyl fawr,  Rhisiart G.