[python] Re: Pythonjetrike update

  • From: Dirk Bonné <dirk.bonne@xxxxxxx>
  • To: python@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 04 Feb 2012 12:14:26 +0100

On 31.01.2012 14:17, Patrick van Gompel wrote:

Yesterday we had the first snow of the year. I went out with the pythonjetrike in the evening when there was a 1cm layer of snow with more comming down. Since the snow was fresh, it wasn't that slippery. Quick acceleration was causing the frontwheel to slip and the same with heavy braking. Control was great although I didn't go for high speed cornering (20+km/h). When I went home, at some places the snow was slippery (driven over by cars). To get going was quite a challenge at those places, but when accelerating very gently is was doable. Braking was a problem and loosing control was something to worry about. Though, when the pythonjetrike was rolling at a constant speed (up to 25km/h), it seemed rather stable. Cornering was ok and there was no tendency to slip into it's own direction. It seems that a frontwheel driven trike and the low CoG does have it's advantages in snow. I might try a snow tire in the future, but not before I switched to 24".
Though, I somehow have not such good experiences with muddy surfaces. When I was cycling together with a Strada velomobiel, my sideway movement in muddy terrain seemed to be about double compared to this rearwheel driven trike. And I was more afraid of loosing control (but that might also have to do with the higher speeds Knipogende emoticon).
I wonder how many pythons ride in winter conditions? It would be interesting to know of other experiences!

End of November I switched assembled the pythoon rear, as it was getting to dangerous to ride the stokid python. In fact, the week before switching, I managed to fall hard just by braking at a crossing, and slipping on a  leaf - luckily my son was not on the bike.

In the last two months I continued riding the pythoon and managed to fall two or three times (who's counting ;-) ), each time because of front wheel sliding sideways away over ice. I must say that one of the roads I ride/fall on floods at places, certainly with the heavy rain this winter, creating ponds right on there on the road. Combine it with morning frost and you can have lots of fun. Falling with the pythoon is unspectacular for my kid, as the bike in fact falls on the bottom tubes of the rear box. Except for once a soaking wet shoe ---and on freezing foot 5 minutes later--- I did not suffered any damage up to now.

Now with the russian wind, winter finally started in Danmark. Which means even more salt and streets that are only partially cleared. Problems that I experience when riding the pythoon are:
* Everything begins to be really messy. Because the wheel runs between my legs, my pants get soaked with salty black water, dirt from chain etc..
* What is very annoying are the wheels blocking inside the mudguards. The mudguard distance is 1-1.5cms and sometimes I can hear the rear wheel slipping as as it all is clogged up with snow :-(
* One of the brake cables freeze up. I only have one brake now :-(
* Because of the salt the bike is rusting. I'll have to paint the frame again :-(
* I hate disc brakes - even my avid bb7. Disc brakes are just to sensitive for real use - after several years I still do not understand why mountain bikes are so happy about disc brakes. The distance of the brake pad to rotor is so little it must get clogged in the forest mud!?? Give me my V-brakes with koolstop pads back! :-(

I still ride with my big apple tires. It has a praofile that is so shallow it is practically painted on. Does anybody know a good winter tire for 20"?

Dirk

============================================================ This is the Python Mailinglist //www.freelists.org/list/python Listmaster: Jurgen Mages jmages@xxxxxx To unsubscribe send an empty mail to python-request@xxxxxxxxxxxxx with 'unsubscribe' in the subject field. ============================================================