[python] Re: Human power article

  • From: Dirk Bonné <dirk.bonne@xxxxxxx>
  • To: python@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 23 Apr 2009 22:05:32 +0200

Hello Bill,

Just some comments from my part:

The advantage I can see with self centering that the wheel flop is gone.

I have never ever experienced the presumed disadvantage of instability,
and I have several >20000km on my bike. Max speed has been 66km/h (I
take what I can get), but I am confident that more would be no problem
at all if the opportunity presents itself. Min speed is 6kmh on flat,
below that it gets difficult.

The strength of self centering doesn't matter for stability. But self
centering changes the style of the bike a lot:
* With little self centering you get a next to neutral steering, and by
this an agile bike.
* Strong self centering gives the limousine feeling: maneuvering takes
a  lot of effort to turn the front part.
As the trail directly correlates with the wheel size (see survey on
http://en.openbike.org/wiki/Python_Projects_Survey ), you will see that
the style of the bike is determined by the wheel size. Exaggerated: bike
like the "monty" (16") can turn on a coin, whereas the "birdcage" (26")
you need a run around the block to turn (I have ridden both).

best regards,
Dirk - baby python