[python] Re: Fwd: Re: Prothon

  • From: Stephan Schöling <stephan@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: python@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 05 Apr 2009 11:47:21 +0200

Hi Ronald and all readers,

ok, i know that kind of material, i tested BASF Styrodur which also is XPS.
Its stiff, so its good as inlay for Frameparts.

In case of a fairing i would prefer closed cell foam like isolation sleeping mat for camping. In Germany it is common to say "meuffeln" for processing this material (Mr. Meuffel gave the name). You can produce nice round fairings by treat the mat with heat. It gets weak and can be formed and stretched. It can be glued and/or stitched at
the edges.
A door needs no hinge, just bend it open, it snaps back by its own.

Finally painted it looks nice, or just use the color it has.

Regards, Stephan

Ronald Hongsermeier schrieb:
Moin Stephan!

Jackodur Standard 2347402

there's also a green foam that's a bit more rigid, but I don't have a piece of it around presently that has a specification on it. The blue rolled stuff is not good for laminating with epoxy, because it is too slippery on the surface and doesn't bond correctly. I bought a roll of it to test a couple of years back and figure I'll never run out of inserts for taking some of the strain off my feet on our granite floors at the airport. :-( They have a green foam Trittschalldämpfung that comes in sheets. It bonds well, but I wouldn't recommend it for heavily mechanically challenged parts like a seat because the thickness just isn't enough and it has square "valleys" on one side. I think it would be good for making a stealth-type fairing (flat surfaces with sharp lines to break up the surfaces) and for conic sectioned type fairings.
hope that helps a bit.

regards,
Ron