[python] Re: Front Suspension

  • From: Jürgen Mages <jmages@xxxxxx>
  • To: python@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 07 Aug 2006 22:04:51 +0200

First, I need susp for bad roads, and this construction will decrease
ground clearance. That's BAD! Of course, it's possible to change frame geometry, rising it, but this solution has it's own drawbacks.

Drawing is only to show the functionality. In reality this suspension can be built quite neat and without increasing ground clearance. E.g. with two rubber blocks on each side of the pivot.

Second, this thing will "bang" each time it returns in place. And I speak not about noise, but shock stress on the hinge. How many times goes it to live? So, we need some dampener between hinge and fron fork, which leads us back to interference from pedaling (somewhat decreased).

The rear suspension of the python uses the same principle and there is no collision noticeable. The system weight holds it in a state of equilibrium. I would give it a try in my next experiment and see how it works in real life. Seems quite promising to me.

From side it will look like a crocodile holding rubber block between
foreteeth. :-)

Very suitable for a python :-)

However, this construction is VERY HEAVY, since both upper and lower forks has to be very stiff (perhaps even stiffer than original single
fork).

Interesting design approach. Though here the chain pull comes into play again. But maybe this can be improved further.

But sorry: I have no time to think about it. I have to pack my
equipment and I will start for a 1500 km python tour tomorrow
morning.

See you later listies and have a good time, Jürgen.

PS: Dmitry, you could post to the mailinglist, because I approved your
posting. Normally you have to subscribe. Thanks for the contribution.