[python] FWD RWS recumbent tandem ( if possible)

  • From: "John Floutier" <john@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <python@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 30 Apr 2009 21:23:53 +0100

Hello  everyone

I was interested in Henry Thomas' simulation of Dennis Renner's new FWD RWS
recumbent. I am trying to help a friend design a FWD RWS tandem. Our initial
attempt at making one with no design input at all was of course totally
unrideable.

I have tried analysing the proposed bike's self stability using the JBike 6
program and Ray Schumcker's frame geometry program, which has the benefit of
being able to introduce a torsional stiffness at the steering pivot,
however, as a RWS bike seems to be inherently unstable, neither of these
methods give much of a clue regarding what is going to be more or less
rideable in practice.

I note that keeping the bike short is thought to be a good thing, which will
of course give us a problem as we want a tandem! Henry Thomas says his
simulation shows it might be best to have more of the weight on the front
wheel and the pivot near midlength. From reading about the VelAero, I get
the idea that some form of proportional reverse sense steering linkage is
probably essential. Can anyone please provide any more useful design ideas
before we start out again with the welding torch?

Regards

John Floutier