[python] Re: Bipolar - a double-pivot folding python

  • From: Vi Vuong <vi_vuong@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: python@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 13 Apr 2011 19:41:05 -0700 (PDT)

Hi DirkB,

I did a quick sprint test at lunch in the parking lot ~10-13mph (16-20km/h),
faster than the μPython for sure, and couldn't feel much movements transferred
from the rear wheel to my back.   However, I do get nervous at higher speed as
am still in training.  Any upper-body movement would transfer directly to the
rear wheel, so this is a rider's issue, not the bike.  At most, I can say that
the bike is not very tolerant to random body movements (inputs), and therefore
may be more difficult to ride at higher speed.  I vaguely recall similar
description for RWS bikes.

In theory, the  rear wheel has positive trail and seat rise effect (60deg
pivot)
to stabilize side motion, plus the pivot is practically locked by the upper
body's weight on the seat rest and tire friction, especially at low speed, good
enough for mobility as a folding bike.  If high speed is the aim (downhill?), I
would go for a trike like nobuo has demonstrated.  A triple-pivot folding trike?

Vi