[python] Re: Bipolar - a double-pivot folding python

  • From: Dirk Bonné <dirk.bonne@xxxxxxx>
  • To: python@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 13 Apr 2011 09:54:05 +0200

Hi Vi

it would be very interesting to know if there is a wobble when riding high speed.

regards,
yet another Dirk

On 12.04.2011 08:15, Vi Vuong wrote:
Hi Dirk,

Yes, the rear pivot is somewhat redundant in terms of steering, and auxiliary at most (only during turns).  However, it's primary purpose is to enable 2 folds for compactness, yet without any folding locking mechanism and seat removal like the commercial Grasshopper or Cobra or the μPython.  I was prepared to make a pivot lock in case it's not ridable, but after some testing, it seems that I can skip the lock and consider the extra instability as a compromise / feature.  Over the next few months, I will be comparing its mobility / utilization vs. the μPython, going different places.  The μPython will probably win the popularity contest, with the tiny motorcycle tires alone.

There is a steering linkage between the wheels, an organic one (the rider).  I was surprised that the weight of my back is able to keep rear pivot / wheel pretty steady going straight without any correction effort, not much different than regular python.  Some coroplast friction between the backrest and seat bottom helps, at least walking the bike.  Turning is more different, almost a new experience, very smooth like butter and without moving the shoulder outward.  Perhaps, this is its best riding characteristic, which I would recommend people to try.

============================================================ This is the Python Mailinglist //www.freelists.org/list/python Listmaster: Jürgen Mages jmages@xxxxxx To unsubscribe send an empty mail to python-request@xxxxxxxxxxxxx with 'unsubscribe' in the subject field. ============================================================