[pure-silver] Re: signing a print

  • From: Howard Efner <hfefner@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: pure-silver@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 9 Apr 2007 16:29:19 -0600

On 4/3/07, Janet Cull <jcull@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
On Apr 3, 2007, at 6:04 AM, Stein wrote:

>     When you sign your print use a trolley-car conductor's punch.
> Punch your monogram - in your case JC - in the middle of the print

Cousin Janet, our dearest Uncle Dick was not too far off of the mark! During the hay days of carbon and albumen prints, is was fairly common for photographers or studios to have an embossing punch that was used to put their name or "chop" in the margins of a print. Would work like a champ on carbon, albumen, or Pt/Pd where the base is a fiber paper. I suppose you could do the same on a still damp fiber based silver print and not do too much damage to the soft emulsion. Archival since all that happened was the paper got a good squishing.

Howard