[pure-silver] signing a print

  • From: Janet Cull <jcull@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: pure-silver@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 2 Apr 2007 22:20:28 -0400

I made an image in the darkroom that could NOT be duplicated just exactly the same. (It was made from 3 negatives, exposed individually.) It mightn't be anyone else's favorite, but I wouldn't sell it for $10,000. I've had a good digital file made of it and have made 3 prints, but the original is with me and I'm about to loan it to a museum here. I've never signed it. I've been sort of scared to, afraid I'll mess it up somehow. What should I do? Here's the question: **Do you always sign (what you consider to be) fine prints?**

A large print of it is in the foyer at our church. I didn't sign that copy and I've always regretted not signing it. Of course I could have the frame opened up and sign, but it seems a lot of trouble for my own vanity - know what I mean?

This image has a wide white border. If it helps, you may see it at this link: http://www.photo.net/photodb/photo?photo_id=4084847

When I have signed prints, I've done it small on the right edge and just below the break where the white border is. Sometimes I don't like how they look signed. I mostly leave a wide white border on prints. What would you do?

Thanks.