[pure-silver] Re: short developing time - ?

  • From: titrisol <titrisol@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: pure-silver@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 22 Sep 2006 02:45:25 -0700 (PDT)

FROM COVINGTON INNOVATIONS:

Note about Kodak Tri-X Pan and Plus-X Pan: Kodak's published
time for the new 400TX film in dilution B is 3 3/4 minutes at 68
F. That is too short to be practical, and I think they have made
a serious mistake; it looks to me like the time for dilution A.
I think they used the wrong dilution in their testing for both
400TX and 125PX.
      Numerous photographers tell me that the correct time for
400TX is only a few percent shorter than for the old TX. Even
Kodak told me the same thing ? though they insist that they
didn't mix up the dilutions.
      However, it's generally agreed that Kodak's published time
of 7.5 minutes for TX in dilution B was a bit long. Most
photographers recommend about 6 to 7 minutes.
      I want to thank Dick Dickerson and Silvia Zawadzki
(retired from Kodak, part of the team that invented Xtol) for
correspondence about this. They, too, think the wrong dilution
was used in Kodak's tests. It will be interesting to see if the
published time changes in future Kodak publications.

After further thought, I suspect that there really isn't much
difference between 3.5 minutes and 5 minutes. The reason? This
is almost entirely within the induction time (the time taken to
start development). Results with development times this short
are notoriously irreproducible and I recommend higher dilutions.