[pure-silver] Re: shamefully off topic

  • From: "Richard Knoppow" <dickburk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <pure-silver@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 18 May 2007 02:53:37 -0700

----- Original Message ----- From: "Shannon Stoney" <shannonstoney@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: <pure-silver@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Thursday, May 17, 2007 3:54 PM
Subject: [pure-silver] Re: shamefully off topic

I love that film. But I've switched to Velvia 100 because I use it a lot in a pinhole camera and there are long exposures, hence reciprocity failure with Velvia 50. Is Cibachrome paper reversal paper? I have been wary of doing color in my home darkroom because it's more toxic.

--shannon

There is no reason to get in contact with the chemicals. Older color processes used some fairly toxic chemicals, I think the current ones are a bit safer. Cibachrome AKA Ilfochrome, is, perhaps, best described as a direct positive process rather than a reversal process. It is based on the idea that certain dyes can be made colorless by the reaction products of development. Ciba/Ilfo chrome is black when unexposed. The development bleaches out the image where its light struck. I suppose this is a bit nit-picking but it is a different process based on a different principal than reversal. In a reversal process the image is first developed to a negative. Instead of fixing the image and removing the unused silver halide, the remaining halide is used to produce the final positive image. For B&W, the original silver image is removed by a bleach which does not affect the halide. The halide is then exposed to strong light or treated in a chemical which has the same effect. The emulsion is then developed leaving a positive image. Color processes are a bit different, the original silver negative image does not have to be removed. Rather the first development is carried out in a developer which does not generate dye so that there is just the negative silver image. Then the film is either exposed to light or to a fogging chemical, as above, and developed again, this time in a developer which produces the dye image. The dye image is, of course, positive. The last step is to remove the silver images, both positive and negative, leaving only the positive dye image behind. There is a little more to than this but not much. Ciba/Ilfo chrome has the advantage that it can use a different kind of dye than reversal (or negative) color materials of the "chromogenic" type. The dye is generally of a type which is more stable than that in chromogenic materials. The colors are quite brilliant but the material tends to be rather high contrast. By using a contrast mask the overall contrast can be reduced. The mask is simply a low density, low contrast negative printed from the positive. The print is made by exposing through a sandwich of the tranparency and mask. By making the mask slightly blurred there is an effect of increasing sharpness as well as reducing overall contrast. This is because the contrast of small details like textures and edges is not reduced and is interpreted by the eye as increased sharpness.

Enough already.

---