[pure-silver] Re: scanner recommendations (not OT!)

  • From: Lloyd Erlick <lloyd@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: pure-silver@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 28 Jun 2005 08:55:46 -0400

jun2805 from Lloyd Erlick,

Thanks for all the assistance, folks!

It looks like the Epson 4990 is the scanner to look for. I like their model
1680 too, but it's a lot more money.

The old 4C transparency adapter covers the full 8.5x14 (legal size) bed.
It's a breeze to slap a page of filed negs onto it. I do use medium format
(almost exclusively these days). But the 4C does not demand any changes if
I change format. Once negs are in filing pages, it makes no difference to
the scanner.

The Epson 4990 specs say the transparency 'footprint' is 8x10, so putting a
page of negs on it will require careful alignment, it seems. Not as bad as
contact proofing onto 8x10 sheets of paper under safelight, I suppose.

My cursory check into pricing here in Canada indicates the 4990 will cost
about CND650 once the taxes are added in. I've only checked online so far,
so maybe a better price can be found. A sheet of 8x10 paper for making
contacts is approaching a dollar these days, so I guess the scanner will
pay for itself after about a thousand rolls of film. Then there is the
improved convenience factor, which used to prevent me from making the
contact sheets at all! What's that worth in dollars??

I liked the look of the Epson 1680, though. Triple the cost, heavier, more
bulk, no one on this list sent me a birthday gift this year so here's your
chance!

regards,
--le

p.s. What are opinions on the Umax scanners? Online they seem to have the
requisite capabilities. In years gone by I recall many disparagements of
Umanx. Is that still the case?

________________________________
Lloyd Erlick Portraits, Toronto.
voice: 416-686-0326
email: portrait@xxxxxxxxxxxx
net: www.heylloyd.com
________________________________
--

At 05:55 AM 6/27/2005 , you wrote:

>Well if you know of a cheap consumer grade scanner that has an 11x8.5
transparency adapter on it then please do let us know about it.
>If I were Lloyd, and I'm not, I would be thinking that the epson and canon
are a fraction of the price the HP 4C cost when new.  However, I wouldn't
be so bold to say that I know exactly what he needs. For example I don't
know if he also does some occasional colour work and may find it useful. I
don't know if he also uses medium format. Others may find the specs on the
epson and canon worth looking at if they use medium format or large format.
Some may find it useful for commercial work. Both of these scanners are
aimed at the photographer wanting to scan negs which is why they have
transparency adapter lids on them which is exactly what he was asking for.