[pure-silver] scanner recommendations (not OT!)

  • From: Lloyd Erlick <lloyd@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: pure-silver@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 26 Jun 2005 10:19:20 -0400

June 2605 from Lloyd Erlick

I've been using a flatbed scanner for my negatives for several years now.
Only to replace contact sheets, that is. I find it far superior, and a lot
easier on the eyes.

My scanner has been a HP 4C with transparency lid, but it is about ten
years old now. I've been planning to set up my old computer to do nothing
but run the scanner, but it turns out that is merely an invitation to
return to Windows 95 hell. Yesterday I spent about six hours on it, and I'm
willing to admit I'm an incompetent nincompoop if it will just get me away
from this drudgery.

I'm willing to part with a bit of cash to get a decent USB type flatbed
scanner. I need to be able to scan 8.5x11 neg filing pages without removing
or handling the negs.

Is there a consensus on which machine I should get??

Thank you very much.

(By the way, I've also asked this question on r.p.darkroom.)

regards,
--le
Lloyd Erlick Portraits, Toronto.
voice: 416-686-0326