[pure-silver] Re: numbering prints?

  • From: Jim Brick <jim@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: pure-silver@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 15 Sep 2006 17:09:50 -0700

It is all about marketing! A fine line has to be reached between artist and marketer, e.g. gallery owner. Every gallery has different sales techniques and different customers. Some need limited editions to help make sales, some don't want signatures on prints. So artists need to find what works for them and their market.

None of this means anything to the art itself! What we say with our photos is what we say, and whether it is limited, numbered, or signed, has nothing to do with the image itself.

It does matter as to how much an artist earns. What is the best solution, to make maximum dollars, so artists can survive and produce more art? For as many different artists/images out there, I suspect there are just as many solutions.

The biggest challenge is changing mid stream. So for all just getting started, make wise decisions now as re-educating your clients is very difficult. Actually, close to impossible.

For me, numbering is not something that I do, or will ever do. Just like the other artists who hang their work on a wall (painters), I DO sign the front of my mounted photographs, on the photograph. Those times when someone bought an unsigned print (it does happen!), I ALWAYS got a request to sign the print. On the print. No numbers. Just a signature.

My $.02 worth.

Jim