[pure-silver] Re: multigrade paper is amazing

  • From: "Richard Knoppow" <dickburk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <pure-silver@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 8 Nov 2007 15:08:32 -0800

----- Original Message ----- From: "Dave V" <DValvo@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: <pure-silver@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Thursday, November 08, 2007 1:44 PM
Subject: [pure-silver] Re: multigrade paper is amazing

This email is a joke... right?

----- Original Message ----- From: "Shannon Stoney" <shannonstoney@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: <pure-silver@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Thursday, November 08, 2007 1:16 PM
Subject: [pure-silver] multigrade paper is amazing

I just did an interesting experiment. I printed a stouffer step tablet on Ilford warmtone multigrade paper, beginning at #00 filtration and ending at #5 filtration. I found out that the paper scale varies not a little bit, but a whole lot!

After printing the step tablet, I read its values on a densitometer. I found out that at filtration #00, the paper has a scale of 1.5. It printed about 12-13 steps between say zone 3 and zone 7. On the other hand, at filtration #5, it had a scale of only 0.47 and printed only 4-5 steps between zone 3 and zone 7.

This is pretty amazing to me. How does it do it? I know that it has something to do with the layers of emulsion. But still.

--shannon

I don't think its a joke. And, BTW, since you are by way of being a paper expert, can you clarify how VC paper works. In whatever the old Ilford Manual is called now (edited by Jack Coote) its stated that both emulsion components are of the same contrast but different sensitization. I can't figure out how two emulsions with the same contrast could result in a variation of contrast no matter how they were combined. I can see only a variation in sensitivity. Did Kodak use one or more components of different contrast or is there something in the Ilford explanation that I just can't get?

---