[pure-silver] Re: multigrade paper is amazing

  • From: "Dave V" <DValvo@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <pure-silver@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 11 Nov 2007 19:29:24 -0500

Shannon  is looking for one...

Dave
----- Original Message ----- From: "Peter De Smidt" <pdesmidt@xxxxxxx>
To: <pure-silver@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Sunday, November 11, 2007 4:10 PM
Subject: [pure-silver] Re: multigrade paper is amazing

ATIPPETT@xxxxxxx wrote:

In the book “The Variable Contrast Printing Manual” by Steve Anchell there are several interesting charts which shows the various ranges of paper/filter/grade for an Omega D5XL enlarger and developed with Zone VI Developer. Are there similar charts using other enlargers/developers? Or a comparison of Zone VI developer and other developers?

Alan Tippett

There probably are, but you really should do them yourself. For example, for years I used Zone VI developer 1+2 at roughly 68*. Fred Picker of Zone VI recommended a 1+3 dilution for 2 minutes. Well, I had problems with contrast, and I checked tons of stuff, filters, light leaks..., but I could only get a true grade 3.5 Finally, I used the "develop for 6 times the image emergence time" advice. Boom. Grade 4.5. So for years I wasn't getting the contrast that I could even though I was following the manufacturer's advice. In my system, I needed to develop for significantly longer. So, get a Stouffer 4x5 31-step wedge. You can contract print it if you don't have 4x5 enlarger. While using a reflection densitometer can take the guess work out of analyzing it, you can do a very good job eyeballing the the prints. How many distinct steps can you see between black and white in normal print viewing light?

BTW, I have a perfectly good Macbeth reflection densitometer that I'd sell for $100 plus shipping, but as I just said, they really are a luxury not a necessity.

-Peter De Smidt