[pure-silver] Re: multigrade paper is amazing

  • From: "Nicholas O. Lindan" <nolindan@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <pure-silver@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 8 Nov 2007 14:22:31 -0500

"Shannon Stoney" <shannonstoney@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>

I just did an interesting experiment. I printed a stouffer step tablet on Ilford warmtone multigrade paper, beginning at #00 filtration and ending at #5 filtration. I found out that the paper scale varies not a little bit, but a whole lot!

http://www.darkroomautomation.com/support/mgivfbwt-zone.jpg
http://www.darkroomautomation.com/support/mgivfbwt-hd.jpg

But it is a very good exercise.  At some photography school(s) (RIT?)
a whole semester is dedicated to imaging a step tablet.  After that
they let the students handle a camera.

After printing the step tablet, I read its values on a densitometer. I found out that at filtration #00, the paper has a scale of 1.5. It printed about 12-13 steps between say zone 3 and zone 7. On the other hand, at filtration #5, it had a scale of only 0.47 and printed only 4-5 steps between zone 3 and zone 7.

Grade 00 is abut 6 stops toe to shoulder [and a pretty funky
shoulder it is].

Grade 5 is 1.8 stops toe to shoulder.

The number of densities between toe and shoulder is infinite in each
case.

The number of zones is 10 - '0' to 'IX' in each case - by the
definition of a zone.  See AA.

The number of 'steps' depends on the step tablet: 0.1 OD, 0.3OD,
0.5 OD intervals are common in commercial tablets.

A step tablet doesn't even have to have equal intervals between
steps.  All it needs is a set of known densities.  You can make
a perfectly serviceable step tablet yourself.

A very useful uneven-step tablet is a tablet of zones.

==
Nicholas O. Lindan
Cleveland Engineering Design, LLC
Cleveland, Ohio 44121