[pure-silver] Re: holga focus and how do you scan a negative properly

  • From: Mark Blackwell <mblackwell1958@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: pure-silver@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 7 Nov 2007 07:15:01 -0800 (PST)

The best quality is always from the negative, unless the scanner is a lower end
one or dated.  Think of it this way, you don't get as good of a print from a
copy negative (although it might be acceptable or even good the original is
always better) because its another generation of the image.  Scanning the print
is scanning the second generation not the first (ie the negative) so you are
picking the problems of both and adding it to the 3rd which will add its own
problems.  Will it matter on the web?  Maybe and maybe not.

For me for the longest most of my work was 35mm, so I bought a 35mm film
scanner with digital ice.  With noise reduction software, I have created prints
that surprised me that it would hold up at the sizes Ive printed.  I need a few
flat bed in that I found a place now that will reasonably process 4x5 color
sheet film at something other than hold up prices for souping the film, but
contact prints are out of sight.

That either means another real expensive film scanner or a flatbed.  Flatbeds
have come  a long way since I bought my film scanner.  The Dmax is close to
what I have with the Minolta film scanner and they now have two magic words.
Digital Ice.  The down side with the Minolta is speed or lack of it.  It was
slow to begin with, but with the right images it was well worth the time.  I
haven't used any of the newer Epson flatbeds, but that's what I may add to a
Christmas list.It very well could retire the old Minolta.

Now the question becomes how good is good enough.  For the web most quality
scans are beyond what the web can show anyway.  For prints unless there is
something that needs to be altered, I still love the wet darkroom.  I haven't
tested yet, but I have an image that may well be the test case, of writing the
file to film via a film recorder and then taking it back to the darkroom for a
wet print.  Anyone ever tried this?

Chris Ellinger <ellinger@xxxxxxxxx> wrote: B P wrote:

> Oh, I decided to try another way of creating a digital image from film
> besides scanning so I took digital photos of the darkroom prints and
> posted those too.  I don't like the way they look. You can see lint and
> the papers texture. For the life of me I don't remember how I used to
> get copies of my prints online. Maybe I just didn't care much if they
> looked as good as the prints. I don't remember. But how are you all
> creating digital images from your analog prints?
>
> Becky Lynn

I scan prints on a flatbed scanner.  The results don't look as good as
the prints, but I figure it is just an approximation anyway.  Since
everyone's monitor is different, I really don't know what the image will
look like to an individual viewer, so I don't bother trying to make
critical adjustments.

On my monitor, your Holga shots look great.

Chris Ellinger
Ann Arbor, MI
USA

http://www.ellingerphoto.com/