[pure-silver] Re: holga focus - and green goo

  • From: Mark Blackwell <mblackwell1958@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: pure-silver@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 8 Nov 2007 07:55:42 -0800 (PST)

Richard the lantern I was referring to was a Coleman Lantern, which was
designed to use Coleman fuel.  It pushes the fuel up by pressuring the fuel
tank, and the fuel is burn through mantles, much like the old gas lights fueled
from natural gas lines you used to find in peoples front yards.  They produce
far more light, but being pressurized they have to be used with extreme care.
When they fail, its serious.  Ive thrown at least one in a lake, and since then
I always have a spot thought out before I light one on where its going if it
starts to go bad.

The railroad type lantern or a kerosene lamp with Coleman fuel would most
certainly mess up your ENTIRE day.

As a solvent I wouldn't use Coleman fuel on anything as critical as a camera,
but it wikapedia seems to say that it is naptha.  I wonder if you could use it
in your Zippo?  Coleman fuel was about $5 a gallon.  Paid about $2.50 for 5 oz
for the last bottle of lighter fluid I got for the Zippo which I use a great
deal for everything but something to smoke.

Now to bring back to photography a bit,  I wonder what they color temp of a
Coleman lantern would be.  It might be a fair effective light for night nature
work.  With two of them, and many aren't that expense, but some are,  Add a
small handheld flash for some accents and you could have an outdoor studio.
Anyone ever try it?

Steve Nicholls <gl1500@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote: Richard Knoppow wrote:
>   Kerosine and Coleman fuel are not the same. If you try using Coleman
> fuel in an ordinary railroad type lantern it will nearly explode,
> which makes me think it is closer to gasoline than kerosine. It think
> the Coleman fuel has some of the most highly volitile elements removed
> to reduce the chances of explosion. I think you are right that it is
> also formulated to prevent the deposit of stuff in the lamp. It
> probably works as a cleaning solvent but may need a second solvent to
> remove any residue it leaves. I am not sure what the difference, if
> any, is between "white gas" and naphtha.
>
> ---
> Richard Knoppow
> Los Angeles, CA, USA
> dickburk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
My pressurised Coleman lamp and stove both run on either unleaded petrol
or white spirit. Definately not kerosine. There are particular lamps and
stoves that run on kero but here in Australia the modern ones seem to be
either unleaded petrol or white spirit.
http://mail.yahoo.com